all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Robby Zambito <contact@robbyzambito.me>
To: Help guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Using NoiseTorch with Sway and Polkit
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:45:45 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi Guix,

I am trying to run NoiseTorch on my desktop, which runs swaywm and
pipewire. I added the following configuration to my system:

(setuid-programs
  (append
   (list
    (setuid-program (program (file-append noisetorch "/bin/NoiseTorch"))))
   %setuid-programs))

and rebuilt my system. When I run NoiseTorch from my path (the system),
I get this error:

XGB: conn.go:47: Could not get authority info: open /home/robby/.Xauthority: no such file or directory
XGB: conn.go:48: Trying connection without authority info...
panic: x protocol authentication refused: Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

goroutine 1 [running]:
github.com/noisetorch/NoiseTorch/vendor/github.com/aarzilli/nucular/clipboard.Start()
	/tmp/guix-build-noisetorch-0.12.2.drv-0/src/github.com/noisetorch/NoiseTorch/vendor/github.com/aarzilli/nucular/clipboard/clipboard_x11.go:28 +0x354
github.com/noisetorch/NoiseTorch/vendor/github.com/aarzilli/nucular.NewMasterWindowSize(0xc0001b0000, {0x7b04b4, 0xa}, {0x0, 0xffffffffffffffff}, 0x0)
	/tmp/guix-build-noisetorch-0.12.2.drv-0/src/github.com/noisetorch/NoiseTorch/vendor/github.com/aarzilli/nucular/shiny.go:83 +0x114
main.main()
	/tmp/guix-build-noisetorch-0.12.2.drv-0/src/github.com/noisetorch/NoiseTorch/main.go:77
        +0x371

When I install NoiseTorch as my user and run it directly I get the following:

robby@lambda ~$ /home/robby/.guix-profile/bin/NoiseTorch
XGB: conn.go:47: Could not get authority info: open /home/robby/.Xauthority: no such file or directory
XGB: conn.go:48: Trying connection without authority info...
XGB: conn.go:47: Could not get authority info: open /home/robby/.Xauthority: no such file or directory
XGB: conn.go:48: Trying connection without authority info...
XGB: conn.go:47: Could not get authority info: open /home/robby/.Xauthority: no such file or directory
XGB: conn.go:48: Trying connection without authority info...
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.policykit.exec ====
Authentication is needed to run `/gnu/store/bpvbbg981p5cmj1qvr0c81czjgp0bq4l-noisetorch-0.12.2/bin/NoiseTorch' as the super user
Authenticating as: Robby Zambito (robby)
Password:
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ====

The GUI will open (unlike the other method), but it will prompt saying
it does not have the "capabilities to function properly", and a button
to grant it the capabilities it needs (requiring root). Clicking the
button will prompt for my password, but entering the correct password
does not work (I have tried dozens of times, I know I'm typing it right)

I found a supposed solution to this for Nix, but this solution yields
the same results for me:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/18012#issuecomment-335350903

If anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated!

Robby