all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net>
To: Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: GeoIP database redistribution?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 11:01:19 +0000	[thread overview]

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 06:06:21AM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:

>> > The database is distributed freely under cc-by-sa4.0:
>> >
>> > https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/#License
>> >
>> > So packaging it should be fine. :)
>>
>> This actually raises the issue of packaging large data files (we are
>> getting into TB's). Could there be a way Guix fetches external
>> datasets as part of the distribution? I think that if it is not
>> executable code and SHA values/pfff values match it would be safe to
>> do.
>>

> The other thing is that guix downloads the files into ram and then
> writes them into the store, which can be a problem if the source is
> larger than the available memory.
>
> --
> Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
> GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
> Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

TB? Oh. Due to cloudflare I had no clue how big this is. In this
case, for the current state of the way we distribute packages is
not itself using a distributed network (if just keeping the space
on hydra is the problem?), I would suggest that I package the
updater I mentioned and mention it in the description for other
MaxMind software.

This database is also an optional dependency for tor and not just
ooni if I understand it correctly, so even if it's not 100%
accurate (their commercial solution claims to be more accurate)
it would be nice to find a way to include it.
But I think size is really an issue, for example Gentoo dropped
the database from their source distribution network and points
users to the updater I mentioned (that's how I learned about the
updater).
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/