all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
To: Paul Jewell <paul@teulu.org>, "guix-devel@gnu.org" <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Command consistency: suggestion
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 09:23:06 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Paul,

On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 at 18:59, Paul Jewell via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

> guix system --switch-generation ... --delete-generation ...
>
> but I am reading into your comment that guix system does _not_ use
> SRFI-37, and therefore cannot combine actions. In other words, it would
> take more effort to implement this change?

Yes, it would be possible to replace “guix system <thing>” by “guix
system --<thing>”.  However, it will not be happen.

The CLI “guix system” and “guix package” will not change.  Although they
can be considered as inconsistent.

The cost of such change is too high.  Because it means update all the
documentation around and let the time for people to upgrade their
scripts, etc.

For example, consider discussion in #38529 [1] and give a look to the
lengthy thread [2].  The discussion was about a change for the CLI of
“guix environment”.  It ended with a new command line “guix shell” and a
deprecation and removal plan over several years for “guix environment”.

As I am trying to explain, the only viable solution is to implement a
Guix extension with another CLI.  The current one will not change, IMHO.

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/CAE4v=phY+7CTKMf8Y3a9p4okfqtMGOWu9kd2Nu6oCJW8OsK3Lw@mail.gmail.com>
2: <https://yhetil.org/guix/CAE4v=phY+7CTKMf8Y3a9p4okfqtMGOWu9kd2Nu6oCJW8OsK3Lw@mail.gmail.com/#r>

> I suppose for those of you who have been in guix for several years, this
> is no issue, since you are familiar with all the different options. to
> me, as a relative newcomer, it didn't feel so smooth. If nothing changes
> I shall not be resorting to aliases, but simply making sure I know the
> correct syntax to achieve what I want!

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree that the split of “guix package/pull”
on one hand and “guix system/home/import” on the other hand can be
confusing at first.  Well, Guix is more than 10 years now and it is some
historical choices. :-)

Cheers,
simon