all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Sunshine via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
To: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
Cc: "Sunshine via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
	distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Permanent URL for GUIX packages
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 10:04:23 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello Florian,

thank you for your reply.

These variants don't seem to be usable in my case, since line offsets often change within those files.  Even the link to web.scm on https://guix.gnu.org/packages/monolith-2.6.1/ is wrong, since it links the latest version of the file and not the one that was used during the build.

I'm honestly very puzzled by the format of the URLs on that website, I don't think I've seen that before on any other site that lists packages.  E.g. https://guix.gnu.org/packages/monolith-2.6.1/ should ideally be https://guix.gnu.org/packages/monolith/ with perhaps https://guix.gnu.org/packages/monolith/2.6.1/ to target specific version.  Otherwise there's no way to be sure the URL will be available once the new release is out.  Even .../monolith-latest/ would work, but currently I see no way to link to GUIX's website from my Readme file, and I believe that's the only one I can't do out of close to 10 different ways of obtaining the pre-built software for various platforms.

Is there any way you could reach out to somebody who maintains the packages section of the website for guix, or just let me know who I should talk to to propose this improvement?

Kindly,
Sunshine