all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de>
To: Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
Cc: help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Racket REPL not working
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 21:58:46 +0000	[thread overview]

On 5/15/23 18:18, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 09:56:35PM +0000, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
>> Hello Guix users / package maintainers,
>>
>> I updated guix today using `guix pull && guix package -u`, but even before
>> that, I had an issue starting a Racket REPL simply entering `racket`:
>>
>> ~~~~
>> $ racket
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> ~~~~
>>
>> I am currently at guix:
>>
>> ~~~~
>> $ guix describe --format=channels
>> (list (channel
>>          (name 'guix)
>>          (url"https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git")
>>          (branch "master")
>>          (commit
>>            "c5fa9dd0e96493307cc76ea098a6bca9b076e012")
>>          (introduction
>>            (make-channel-introduction
>>              "9edb3f66fd807b096b48283debdcddccfea34bad"
>>              (openpgp-fingerprint
>>                "BBB0 2DDF 2CEA F6A8 0D1D  E643 A2A0 6DF2 A33A 54FA")))))
>>
>> $ guix describe
>> Generation 42	Mai 14 2023 23:45:08	(current)
>>    guix c5fa9dd
>>      repository URL:https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>>      branch: master
>>      commit: c5fa9dd0e96493307cc76ea098a6bca9b076e012
>> ~~~~
>>
>> Not sure what is up, or whether it is only on my end for some reason.
>>
>> Also cannot call `racket --version`:
>>
>> ~~~~
>> $ racket --version
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> ~~~~
> I was able to run 'guix shell racket -- racket --version' with it
> segfaulting. Same thing when I switched to using the same commit that
> you're using.
>
> Can you paste the output of 'lscpu'? I suspect that there might be some
> optimizations being applied during build time and it's been optimized
> with features not available in your CPU.

Hello Efraim,

Here is the output of `lscpu`:

~~~~
$ lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
   CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
   Address sizes:         39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
   Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  4
   On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
   Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
     CPU family:          6
     Model:               142
     Thread(s) per core:  2
     Core(s) per socket:  2
     Socket(s):           1
     Stepping:            9
     CPU max MHz:         3500,0000
     CPU min MHz:         400,0000
     BogoMIPS:            5799.77
     Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mc
                          a cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss
                          ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art
                           arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_
                          tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cp
                          l vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1
                           sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsav
                          e avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault
                           epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow
                           vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust
                          sgx bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdseed adx sma
                          p clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dt
                          herm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp
                          _epp md_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities
Virtualization features:
   Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):
   L1d:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
   L1i:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
   L2:                    512 KiB (2 instances)
   L3:                    4 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:
   NUMA node(s):          1
   NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Vulnerabilities:
   Itlb multihit:         KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
   L1tf:                  Mitigation; PTE Inversion; VMX conditional cache flushe
                          s, SMT vulnerable
   Mds:                   Mitigation; Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
   Meltdown:              Mitigation; PTI
   Mmio stale data:       Mitigation; Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
   Retbleed:              Mitigation; IBRS
   Spec store bypass:     Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
                           and seccomp
   Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer
                           sanitization
   Spectre v2:            Mitigation; IBRS, IBPB conditional, RSB filling, PBRSB-
                          eIBRS Not affected
   Srbds:                 Mitigation; Microcode
   Tsx async abort:       Not affected
~~~~

--
repositories:https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl