all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu>
To: Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>
Cc: Guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: rust (build system) deficits
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 13:10:45 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Hartmut,

> On Mar 8, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

The much more serious issue is that we are not able to build non-trivial
Rust applications: Given a package which needs to add phases, e.g. for
fixing Cargo.toml, we would need to run each package's phases when
building any depending package.

Hmm. Can you elaborate more on “not able to build non-trivial rust applications”?  It seems like we have finally made some progress on building some rust apps.  Patching a library Cargo.toml seems like an excellent job for source patches or snippets. Modifying an executable’s Cargo.toml to refer to guix-vendor happens during a phase that matters (because the executable will be built).

We also already have solutions for removing censored code for c library wrappers.

Clearly the situation is not ideal, but I do think there are improvements to take just with what we have now.

Kindly,

John