all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: gfp <gfp@posteo.at>
To: Sÿ <sy@puu.re>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: file transfer
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:10:24 +0000	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2350 bytes --]

Hi,

thanks for help

>>> What makes the difference if I install icedove and firefox as user
>>> packages
>>> or install them in a profile?

>> What do you mean by a profile? If you mean as whole system configuration
>> file, everything is kept in sync, being sure versions are matching each
>> others.

I apologise for not having explained enough.

Somebody, I forgot who, wrote this, and I did the same:

By default, each user on Guix System has one user profile. All packages
that they install are placed into it. This is easy to manage.

Some people (like myself) choose to create additional profiles.
Many people do this in order to separate out a group of packages that
they don't want installed (or upgraded) all the time.
I do it because occasionally one of my packages breaks when I am
upgrading my system. By splitting all of my packages up into a few
different profiles by category, if one package fails to upgrade, then
that profile doesn't upgrade, but all of my other profiles do. This
allows me to install the newest software for everything outside of the
broken profile. Then I focus on fixing the broken package and just
upgrade the broken profile. Easy peasy.

Gottfried