all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Wojtek Kosior via <help-guix@gnu.org>
To: Paul Collignan <paul.collignan@aquilenet.fr>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Packaging a rust program with a lot of crates
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 18:16:41 +0200	[thread overview]

> > There might be some misunderstanding here. Guix does allow
> > 1. for multiple versions of the same package to coexist
> > 2. and for multiple versions of the same package to share most of the
> >    packaging code via inheritance.
> > However, the possibility 1. is only exercised for some strategic
> > packages like gcc. For casual packages, when upstream releases a new
> > version, some kind Guix contributor sends a patch that changes the
> > definition in the .scm file to now describe the new version. The old
> > version need not be explicitly deleted — its place is taken by the new
> > version :)
>
> It is a little bit different for Rust packages, as described in the documentation:
> "In the rust ecosystem it is common for multiple incompatible
> versions of a package to be used at any given time, so all package
> definitions should have a versioned suffix. The versioned suffix is
> the left-most non-zero digit" If I understand this correctly, one
> should keep all packages from 0.1 to 0.46 (for example, if the
> versions are numbered like this). But from 1.1 to 1.46 you only keep
> the last one.

OK, my bad 😅 Didn't know that

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)