all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: not emma <bigbookofbug@proton.me>
To: "guix-devel@gnu.org" <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: font-packaging guidelines
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 10:26:09 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi !

I hope this is the right place to send this. First off, I've only been using Guix for a month now but wow I love it! After getting the hangs of the basics I managed to create a working package for the JetBrainsMono Nerd Font that's based off the code from this patch:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44476

However, rather than lumping all the fonts into a single package, I'm planning to package each one independently, and have them exist as part of a nerd-fonts module. I'd like to submit this package as a contribution so that others can use it too, but wanted some clarification on packaging guidelines before i started to write out the bulk of the code.

Currently, it's formatted like so:

> 1 │ (define-module (bugchan packages font-nerd-fonts)
> 2 │ #:use-module (guix packages)
> 3 │ #:use-module (guix download)
> 4 │ #:use-module (guix build-system font)
> 5 │ #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:))
> 6 │
> 7 │ (define-public font-jetbrainsmono-nerd-font
> 8 │ (let ((version "v3.2.1"))
> 9 │ (package
> 10 │ (name "font-jetbrainsmono-nerd-font")
> 11 │ (version version)
> 12 │ (source (origin
> 13 │ (method url-fetch)
> 14 │ (uri (string-append "https://github.com/ryanoasis/nerd-fonts/releases/down
> │ load/" version "/JetBrainsMono.tar.xz"))
> 15 │ (sha256
> 16 │ (base32
> 17 │ "01j0rkgrix7mdp9fx0y8zzk1kh40yfcp932p0r5y666aq4mq5y3c"))))
> 18 │ (build-system font-build-system)
> 19 │ (arguments
> 20 │ `(#:phases
> 21 │ (modify-phases %standard-phases
> 22 │ (add-before 'install 'make-files-writable
> 23 │ (lambda _
> 24 │ (for-each
> 25 │ make-file-writable
> 26 │ (find-files "." ".*\\.(oft|otc|ttf|ttc) $"))
> 27 │ #t)))))
> 28 │ (home-page "https://www.nerdfonts.com/")
> 29 │ (synopsis "Iconic font aggregator, collection, and patcher")
> 30 │ (description
> 31 │ "Nerd Fonts patches developer targeted fonts with a high number
> 32 │ of glyphs (icons). Specifically to add a high number of extra glyphs
> 33 │ from popular ‘iconic fonts’ such as Font Awesome, Devicons, Octicons,
> and others.")
> (license license:expat))))

I followed the packaging guidelines from the manual, but wanted to double check still just in case I missed anything.

Thank you!

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.