unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* GuixSD distro detection during configuration
@ 2021-09-16  7:54 phodina via
From: phodina via @ 2021-09-16  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
what is the best way to detect the GuixSD OS during the build?

I encountered the problem during build of realmd in the configure.ac [1].

Some distros have special file in /etc. So my first idea was to use /etc/config.scm. However, this is not visible during the package build.

Therefore I went with the /gnu/store. This works but I'm interested if there isn't even a better option.
[1] https://github.com/freedesktop/realmd/blob/master/configure.ac

* Re: GuixSD distro detection during configuration
@ 2021-09-16  9:52 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-09-16  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: help-guix

phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
> what is the best way to detect the GuixSD OS during the build?

Why is distro detection desirable?  I often found myself trying to
work around buggy distro detection.

(BTW: it’s called “Guix System”, not “GuixSD”.)

> I encountered the problem during build of realmd in the
> configure.ac [1].
>
> Some distros have special file in /etc. So my first idea was to
> use /etc/config.scm. However, this is not visible during the
> package build.

It is also not necessary to have /etc/config.scm.  I, for example,
have all my system configurations in a different directory.

> Therefore I went with the /gnu/store. This works but I'm
> interested if there isn't even a better option.
> [1]
> https://github.com/freedesktop/realmd/blob/master/configure.ac

Guix is often used on top of other distros, so the presence of
/gnu/store is not enough to be sure that the distro is Guix
System.

--
Ricardo

* Re: GuixSD distro detection during configuration
@ 2021-09-16 10:24   ` phodina
From: phodina @ 2021-09-16 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Ricardo,

> phodina via help-guix@gnu.org writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > what is the best way to detect the GuixSD OS during the build?
>
> Why is distro detection desirable? I often found myself trying to
>
> work around buggy distro detection.
>
> (BTW: it’s called “Guix System”, not “GuixSD”.)

Well it's not exactly desirable but the configure script wants to know in order to copy the correct files.

My idea was to create a patch with Guix System support and submit it upstream.

> > I encountered the problem during build of realmd in the
> >
> > configure.ac [1].
> >
> > Some distros have special file in /etc. So my first idea was to
> >
> > use /etc/config.scm. However, this is not visible during the
> >
> > package build.
>
> It is also not necessary to have /etc/config.scm. I, for example,
>
> have all my system configurations in a different directory.

True, I also have there just a symlink but it's not mandatory.

> > Therefore I went with the /gnu/store. This works but I'm
> >
> > interested if there isn't even a better option.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> > https://github.com/freedesktop/realmd/blob/master/configure.ac
>
> Guix is often used on top of other distros, so the presence of
>
> /gnu/store is not enough to be sure that the distro is Guix
>
> System.

Yes it can be the case it's installed on a foreign distro.

> Ricardo

Well in that case I agree with you that it's not desirable to use buggy distro detection and the result will be therefore to keep the patch with the pkg definition.