unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guitar-to-USB cable in Guix System
@ 2022-10-16 23:21 Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-10-16 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help guix

I recently found that these kinds of cables exist. Apparently, they allow you to connect the guitar very easily and cheaply to the computer, and you could simply start recording in applications like Audacity or Ardour.

Anyone knows if these kinds of cables work on Guix System (or any other libre distribution)?

Thanks,

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: Guitar-to-USB cable in Guix System
@ 2022-10-16 23:39 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2022-10-16 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help guix

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 4:22 PM Luis Felipe
<luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone knows if these kinds of cables work on Guix System (or any other libre distribution)?

I thought about buying one of those cables but I have several USB
sound cards more or less like this one [1] that I will try first.

The special purpose guitar cables seem to be very similar but they are
only an input device and not paired with an output, which can cause
setup confusion as described here. [2] They seem to work on Linux
Mint, however [3] which probably means Guix, as well.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[1] https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803496474720.html
[2] https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=120396&sid=2949fe368ca9a2062c2b9b18d74e77a1#p120396
[3] https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=120408&sid=2949fe368ca9a2062c2b9b18d74e77a1#p120408

* Re: Guitar-to-USB cable in Guix System
@ 2022-10-17  8:10 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-10-17  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help-guix

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> I recently found that these kinds of cables exist. Apparently, they
> allow you to connect the guitar very easily and cheaply to the
> computer, and you could simply start recording in applications like
> Audacity or Ardour.
>
> Anyone knows if these kinds of cables work on Guix System (or any other libre distribution)?

They should work as long as they are USB class-compliant devices.  Often
they are advertised as working on mac and Windows alike without having
to install drivers.  In that case they likely are class-compliant and
should work just fine.

* Re: Guitar-to-USB cable in Guix System
@ 2022-10-17 16:21   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-10-17 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix, Felix Lechner