unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* with every guix pull icedove updating I have to set up icedove again
@ 2022-03-29 15:08 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Unfortunately, every time after guix pull updating icedove I have to set
up icedove again.

Opening icedove the path is set to:
  /gnu/store/0vyrq4fz1wwxpy2izvjbrkfpaap5r5m9-icedove-91.7/bin/icedove

the only way to open icedove is to choose in the starter app an older
version: in my case:
/gnu/store/nmlxvxl2640r74fg9mlacmavpwg2n7xa-icedove-91.6.1/bin/icedove

If I change the path to :
/home/gfp/.guix-profile/bin/icedove
it also asks me to set up icedove again.

I don't know how to solve this. What can I do, that after a guix pull I
can start icedove but with the updated version?

thanks in advance
Gottfried

* with every guix pull icedove updating I have to set up icedove again
@ 2022-03-29 19:47 Nathan Dehnel
From: Nathan Dehnel @ 2022-03-29 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gottfried, help-guix

I also have this problem. It forgets which profile I'm using or
something. I have to launch the profile manager and select the profile
for it to use.

* Re: with every guix pull icedove updating I have to set up icedove again
@ 2022-03-30 16:12 ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-30 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Dehnel, help-guix

at the moment I am getting my wires crossed/ I am a bit slow on the uptake

what do you mean by " to launch the profile manager"
do you mean to open the .guix-profile folder?

"and select the profile"
do you mean to open: .guix-profile/bin/
and choose the profile "icedove"
If yes, I did that, but it opened the new version which asks me for
setting up icedove.
So this didn't help me.

Or do you mean to open /gnu/store/?
and choose the right profile?
If yes, than which profile should I choose?

@ 2022-03-30 17:38   ` Nathan Dehnel
From: Nathan Dehnel @ 2022-03-30 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Run icedove -ProfileManager

       [not found] <mailman.87.1648742415.17287.help-guix@gnu.org>
@ 2022-03-31 18:25 ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-31 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix-request, help-guix

At the moment, when I run: icedove -ProfileManager
it gives me 8 options:

1. Default Default	runs the new icedove
2. Default			asks me to set up icedove
3. Default 1		runs the new icedove
4. Default 2		runs the new icedove
5. Default 3			asks me to set up icedove
6. Default 4			asks me to set up icedove
7. Default 5			asks me to set up icedove
8. Default 6			asks me to set up icedove

Should I delete the profiles number 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 ?which ask me to set
icedove up? Is it save to delete profiles?

There is a message:
Deleting a profile will remove the profile from the list of available
profiles and cannot be undone.
You may also choose to delete the profile data files, including your
settings, certificates and other user-related data. This option will
delete the folder “/home/gfp/.thunderbird/lrhyptlb.default” and cannot
be undone.
Would you like to delete the profile data files?

should I choose the option: delete the files or the other option: Don't
delete files?

@ 2022-04-02 16:48   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2022-04-02 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-guix

Am 31.03.22 um 20:25 schrieb Gottfried:
> Should I delete the profiles number 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 ?which ask me to set
> icedove up? Is it save to delete profiles?

According to your list, these profiles are not yet set up. Which means:
they don't hold any mails or other relevant data. So I assume they can
safely be removed.

And yes, you can also delete the files of this profile.

BTW: Please don't send messages to help-guix-*request*@gnu.org - this is
just the subscription automat.

--
Regards