unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Questions about Development Environments in Emacs
@ 2018-11-16  3:00 brettg
From: brettg @ 2018-11-16  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all.

I have some questions about the availability and usability of specific
development environments in Emacs on GuixSD. I know that GuixSD is not
"production ready" but with 1.0 supposedly approaching soon, I am still
using Virtual Machines to Parabola GNU/Linux-libre for some of my
development work.

On this note, what is everybody doing on GuixSD for support for
languages like Clojure and Haskell?

Clojure has the wonderful CIDER emacs-mode, which I know is packaged,
but it is seemingly without use without a proper nREPL like Leiningen.
How are other people getting intellisense and other slime-like features
from CIDER without lein's nREPL?

Similarly, Haskell is in a similar position with Intero not being
available. Are people developing for Haskell on GuixSD yet? What are
they using?

Thank you for the support, and keep on!

Brett Gilio

* Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero)
@ 2020-01-03  8:23 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-01-03  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brettg, help-guix

brettg@posteo.net writes:
> On this note, what is everybody doing on GuixSD for support for
> languages like Clojure and Haskell?
>
> Clojure has the wonderful CIDER emacs-mode, which I know is packaged,
> but it is seemingly without use without a proper nREPL like Leiningen.
> How are other people getting intellisense and other slime-like features
> from CIDER without lein's nREPL?
>
> Similarly, Haskell is in a similar position with Intero not being
> available. Are people developing for Haskell on GuixSD yet? What are
> they using?

I'm facing a similar issue at the moment.  Does anyone have a good
answer to develop Haskell or Clojure with Emacs on Guix?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero)
@ 2020-01-03 16:01   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-01-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Pierre!

> On Jan 3, 2020, at 12:24 AM, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
>
> I'm facing a similar issue at the moment.  Does anyone have a good
> answer to develop Haskell or Clojure with Emacs on Guix?

I write a fair bit of Haskell. I find that I like to use cabal-install to develop, then make a .scm file for the guix package separately.

haskell-mode works well in this workflow. There are a few tweaks to make, to get the most out of it.  cabal complains if GHC_PACKAGE_PATH is set, so I use the Elisp variable haskell-process-wrapper-function to add "env -u GHC_PACKAGE_PATH" prior to the cabal commands.

The only other complaint I have is that flycheck-haskell only supports stack. haskell-mode has excellent error reporting, though.  So I’ve never had a major complaint.

We could probably package stack. It is widely used in industry so it could make guix more usable. That would also start intero support.  I am not sure if intero is maintained anymore, though. If they don’t find a maintainer I am not sure it will make it into guix.

Happy hacking!

John

* Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero)
@ 2020-01-03 16:45     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-01-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks for sharing, John!

And any one using Clojure?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero)
@ 2020-02-10 21:22       ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2020-02-10 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Pierre,

You are correct that Clojure development via CIDER is dependent upon
having at least one of the three Clojure build tools installed and on
your PATH. These are your choices (in order of age):

- lein    https://leiningen.org/
- boot    https://boot-clj.com/
- clojure https://clojure.org/guides/getting_started

All three are simply shell scripts that download their respective JARs
into $HOME/.lein, $HOME/.boot, $HOME/.clojure, and/or
$HOME/.m2/repository.

For lein and boot, I just manually install them into a scripts directory
in my $HOME directory and add that to my $PATH in my ~/.bashrc. For
clojure, I pass the installdir option to its installation script to put
all of its files in $HOME/local (which I add to my PATH instead of using
the global /usr/local).

Creating a Guix package for any of these three tools shouldn't be all
that difficult, but I have unfortunately not yet taken the time to put
them together. If someone does create them though (particularly one for
`clojure`), I would be quite happy indeed.

Happy hacking,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

* Re: Questions about Development Environments in Emacs (Leiningen, Intero)
@ 2020-02-11  6:13         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-02-11  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Johnson, help-guix