unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* to run a package that isn't shown in the application menu
@ 2022-03-09 18:17 Gottfried
       [not found] ` <133f9d57-4016-4399-d178-754aa18d5817@korwin-zmijowski.fr>
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I installed some packages, but they don't appear in the application menu
(no icon).

Is there an other way (manual way) to run them?

I tried to use a starter and point to a file in
/gun/store/application/bin/application
but it says "file could not be found".

Gottfried

* Re: to run a package that isn't shown in the application menu
@ 2022-03-10  7:35 ` Julien Lepiller
       [not found] ` <133f9d57-4016-4399-d178-754aa18d5817@korwin-zmijowski.fr>
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-03-10  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Gottfried

In general, you can run the app from the command-line. Don't point directly to the store, because the path might change after an update.

However this is only a workaround. The proper solution is to fix the packaging. Which packages are lacking a launcher icon?

@ 2022-03-10 17:57   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-10 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeremy, help-guix

Hi,
I installed Guix as my system and not Guix as a package manager on a
foreign distro.

Gottfried

@ 2022-03-10 18:43   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

These packages are lacking a launcher icon:

mc (midnight commander) ( I can start it in the command-line.)
network-manager-applet (for MATE Desktop)
mate-applets
texlive-todonotes