unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24  1:38 Jonathan Scoresby
From: Jonathan Scoresby @ 2022-08-24  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I am trying to build a package definition for a rust project that is not on crates.io (package A). It has a dependency for another rust project that is also not hosted on crates.io (package B). How do I get guix to reference the guix package B instead of trying to fetch it from the source repository?

I'm new to guix but I took a look into the build system code, and it seems like guix just changes the crates.io source to a local repository, but this doesn't work with packages that are hosted outside crates.io.

Would it be best to modify the cargo.toml to not reference a git repo? Or is there a better way? Assuming I do that, how do I ensure that package B still ends up in the guix-vendor directory during the build?

Thanks

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 16:06 ` (
From: ( @ 2022-08-24 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Scoresby, help-guix

Hi Jonathon,

You can just write a normal package for a crate on Git, replacing the source with
something like:

  (origin
    (method git-fetch)
    (uri (git-reference
          (url "...")
          (commit (string-append "v" version))))
    (file-name (git-file-name name version))
    (sha256
     (base32
      "...")))

You can use a Rust package built like this in the same way as a normal crates.io
crate. Just add it to cargo-inputs or cargo-development-inputs as appropriate :)

    -- (

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 16:23   ` Jonathan Scoresby
From: Jonathan Scoresby @ 2022-08-24 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (, help-guix

> On 08/24/2022 10:06 MDT ( <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
>

> Hi Jonathon,
>
> You can just write a normal package for a crate on Git, replacing the source with
> something like:
>
>   (origin
>     (method git-fetch)
>     (uri (git-reference
>           (url "...")
>           (commit (string-append "v" version))))
>     (file-name (git-file-name name version))
>     (sha256
>      (base32
>       "...")))
>
> You can use a Rust package built like this in the same way as a normal crates.io
> crate. Just add it to cargo-inputs or cargo-development-inputs as appropriate :)
>
>     -- (

Thank you for the reply. This is what I have done. The problem I am having is that when I do this, cargo is not referencing it properly. The Cargo.toml file will have a line like:

package = {git=url, rev=commit}

I have successfully packaged the package it is referencing in the fashion you have shown and have provided it under cargo-inputs, but cargo is still trying to find the package at the git url.

-Jonathan

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 16:29     ` (
From: ( @ 2022-08-24 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Scoresby, help-guix

Ah, I think this is because Cargo's vendor directory feature substitutes
a directory specifically for the crates.io registry. Since only a Git
dependency is specified, it doesn't even bother looking in the directory.
Just patch the line in the crates.io file to say something like:

  pkg = "*"

    -- (

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 16:52       ` Jonathan Scoresby
From: Jonathan Scoresby @ 2022-08-24 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (, help-guix

Yes. That is what I was trying to expalain. I will try that out, though I must say that this solution feels a little bit hacky. Shouldn't guix be checking somehow that the referenced package is correct?

-Jonathan

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 16:56         ` (
From: ( @ 2022-08-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Scoresby, help-guix

Not entirely sure what you mean by "checking if it's correct", but
the entire cargo-build-system is something of a hack. That will
change with antioxidant-build-system, hopefully coming soon to a
core-updates near you™. :)

    -- (

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 17:05           ` Jonathan Scoresby
From: Jonathan Scoresby @ 2022-08-24 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: help-guix

I mean that the referenced package could be anything. I feel like guix should somehow verify that the referenced package was built from the source specified in the cargo.toml.

Also, it does not check the version. If the main package changed to depend on a newer version, the suggested more of creating a package definition would allow one to build the new package using the outdated dependency.

Anywhere I can read about antioxidant?

-Jonathan

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 17:08             ` (
From: ( @ 2022-08-24 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Scoresby; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed Aug 24, 2022 at 6:05 PM BST, Jonathan Scoresby wrote:
> Also, it does not check the version. If the main package changed to depend on a newer version, the suggested more of creating a package definition would allow one to build the new package using the outdated dependency.

You could add a version constraint to it if you like; what's the version
in the dependency's cargo.toml?

> Anywhere I can read about antioxidant?

Courtesy of Maxime Devos: <https://notabug.org/maximed/cargoless-rust-experiments>

    -- (

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 17:11               ` Jonathan Scoresby
From: Jonathan Scoresby @ 2022-08-24 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: help-guix

> On 08/24/2022 11:08 MDT ( <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
>
> You could add a version constraint to it if you like; what's the version
> in the dependency's cargo.toml?

It's rev={commit}

-Jonathan

* Re: Rust Packaging without crates.io
@ 2022-08-24 17:12                 ` (
From: ( @ 2022-08-24 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Scoresby; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed Aug 24, 2022 at 6:11 PM BST, Jonathan Scoresby wrote:
> It's rev={commit}

Try visiting that commit in the dep's repo and see what version it's at,
then use an appropriate semver spec instead of `*`.

    -- (