unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Restart freezes after reconfiguring system
@ 2023-06-29 17:28 Georgios Athanasiou
From: Georgios Athanasiou @ 2023-06-29 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

I've been trying out Guix OS since about a week now.  It's been very
nice so far, though I do have a slight problem.

After running `guix system reconfigure' and then trying to restart my
computer, it won't restart.  I get a blank screen with the cursor
blinking at the top left corner, the computer not responding anymore.
I have to reboot by holding down the hardware button on the computer.
After the hard reboot, restart works as expected, until I reconfigure
the system again.

Powering off gives the same result, i.e. the computer freezes instead
of shutting down.  It doesn't matter whether I do it from inside Gnome
or a root console.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Could I manually restart some
service and then have restart work normally?

Thanks!

* Restart freezes after reconfiguring system
@ 2023-06-30 16:21 Georgios Athanasiou
From: Georgios Athanasiou @ 2023-06-30 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

I've been trying out Guix OS since about a week now.  It's been very

nice so far, though I do have a slight problem.

After running `guix system reconfigure' and then trying to restart my

computer, it won't restart.  I get a blank screen with the cursor

blinking at the top left corner, the computer not responding anymore.

I have to reboot by holding down the hardware button on the computer.

After the hard reboot, restart works as expected, until I reconfigure

the system again.

Powering off gives the same result, i.e. the computer freezes instead

of shutting down.  It doesn't matter whether I do it from inside Gnome

or a root console.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Could I manually restart some

service and then have restart work normally?

Thanks!

G.

* Re: Restart freezes after reconfiguring system
@ 2023-07-02 14:22 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-07-02 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georgios Athanasiou; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Georgios,

On Sun, Jul 2, 2023 at 6:50 AM Georgios Athanasiou <o8cu77@otenet.gr> wrote:

> After running `guix system reconfigure' and then trying to restart my
> computer, it won't restart.  I get a blank screen with the cursor
> blinking at the top left corner, the computer not responding anymore.

Sometimes, I also have issues restarting but they are generally
unrelated to whether I just reconfigured.

How did you restart? (Did you type "reboot" in a root shell?) How long
did you wait before your patience ran out?

Also, it might be helpful if you could link to your system config.

Thanks for using GNU Guix!

Kind regards
Felix