unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Replace official Guix in home-channels-service-type
@ 2023-05-08 13:28 Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-05-08 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

Using Guix Home, how may I replace the official Guix channel in
home-channels-service-type [1] please?

The manual envisions that scenario, but neither of the two links
offered [2] describe the full solution. Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/home/services/guix.scm#n35
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Guix-Home-Services.html

* Re: Replace official Guix in home-channels-service-type
@ 2023-05-10  0:22 ` Timo Wilken
From: Timo Wilken @ 2023-05-10  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, help-guix

Hi Felix,

On Mon May 8, 2023 at 3:28 PM CEST, Felix Lechner via wrote:
> Using Guix Home, how may I replace the official Guix channel in
> home-channels-service-type [1] please?

The way I interpret the docs, you can use `service' instead of
`simple-service' if you want to replace the default Guix channel.

(By "extending the service", the manual means `simple-service';
 by "directly configuring it", the manual means `service'.)

The following ought to do it:

  (service home-channels-service-type
           (list (channel (name 'my-guix) (url "...") (branch "...")
                          (introduction ...))))

I expect the note in the docs about using `simple-service' by default
is just meant to avoid misunderstanding, as users might not expect the
default Guix channel to disappear if they use `service' to configure
`home-channels-service-type'.

Cheers,
Timo

* Re: Replace official Guix in home-channels-service-type
@ 2023-05-11  5:43   ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-05-11  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timo Wilken; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Timo,

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 5:22 PM Timo Wilken <guix@twilken.net> wrote:

> The following ought to do it:

It worked great! Now I have my custom version of Guix all the time,
even though it isn't authenticated. Thanks so much!

Kind regards
Felix