unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-11 23:17 sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-01-11 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

Hi,

Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.

Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-12  1:04 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-01-12  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Guix Help

sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):

> Hi,
>
> Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
>
> Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?

Do you have log rotation configured?

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-12  1:09   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-01-12  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Gábor Boskovits"; +Cc: Guix Help

 ---- On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:04:25 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
 > >
 > > Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?
 >
 > Do you have log rotation configured?

Not that I know of. I installed the Guix System using the graphical installer, and I haven't configured anything about logs myself.

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-12  8:38     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-01-12  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Guix Help

sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 2:09):

>  ---- On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:04:25 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
>  > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):
>  > >
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > > Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
>  > >
>  > > Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?
>  >
>  > Do you have log rotation configured?
>
> Not that I know of. I installed the Guix System using the graphical installer, and I haven't configured anything about logs myself.

Guix System has a log rotation service, described here:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Log-Rotation.html
could you try to configure it, and see if the problem persists?

--

@ 2020-01-12 10:42       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-01-12 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 2:09):
>>
>>  ---- On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:04:25 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
>>  > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):
>>  > >
>>  > > Hi,
>>  > >
>>  > > Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
>>  > >
>>  > > Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?
>>  >
>>  > Do you have log rotation configured?
>>
>> Not that I know of. I installed the Guix System using the graphical installer, and I haven't configured anything about logs myself.
>>
> Guix System has a log rotation service, described here:
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Log-Rotation.html
> could you try to configure it, and see if the problem persists?

Should we include it in the examples and select it by default in the
installer?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-12 11:37         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-01-12 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12.,
V, 11:42):

> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 2:09):
> >>
> >>  ---- On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:04:25 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
> >>  > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):
> >>  > >
> >>  > > Hi,
> >>  > >
> >>  > > Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
> >>  > >
> >>  > > Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?
> >>  >
> >>  > Do you have log rotation configured?
> >>
> >> Not that I know of. I installed the Guix System using the graphical installer, and I haven't configured anything about logs myself.
> >>
> > Guix System has a log rotation service, described here:
> > https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Log-Rotation.html
> > could you try to configure it, and see if the problem persists?
>
> Should we include it in the examples and select it by default in the
> installer?

I believe we should. Most distro do that, so that is what the user
expects, I guess.

--

@ 2020-01-12 15:14       ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-01-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Gábor Boskovits"; +Cc: Guix Help

 ---- On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 03:38:55 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 2:09):
 > >
 > >  ---- On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:04:25 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > >  > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Hi,
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?
 > >  >
 > >  > Do you have log rotation configured?
 > >
 > > Not that I know of. I installed the Guix System using the graphical installer, and I haven't configured anything about logs myself.
 > >
 > Guix System has a log rotation service, described here:
 > https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Log-Rotation.html
 > could you try to configure it, and see if the problem persists?

I imported the admin module from gnu services, added the rottlog service and reconfigured the system. I didn't import the mcron service nor the base and idutils packages shown in the example. Is that right?

Thanks, Gábor.

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-12 19:03         ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2020-01-12 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 2:09):
>>>
>>>  ---- On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:04:25 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
>>>  > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):
>>>  > >
>>>  > > Hi,
>>>  > >
>>>  > > Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
>>>  > >
>>>  > > Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?
>>>  >
>>>  > Do you have log rotation configured?
>>>
>>> Not that I know of. I installed the Guix System using the graphical installer, and I haven't configured anything about logs myself.
>>>
>> Guix System has a log rotation service, described here:
>> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Log-Rotation.html
>> could you try to configure it, and see if the problem persists?
>
> Should we include it in the examples and select it by default in the
> installer?

+1.  I too was surprised to have infinitely growing logs out of the box.
I think it's a sane default to have a log rotation service enabled.

Maxim

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-20 22:44       ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-01-20 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Gábor Boskovits"; +Cc: Guix Help

 ---- On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 03:38:55 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 2:09):
 > >
 > >  ---- On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:04:25 -0500 Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > >  > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. jan. 12., V, 0:18):
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Hi,
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Looking for some boot messages, I discovered that /var/log/messages contains messages since the day I installed the Guix System and the file is around 730 MB now.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Is this normal or should I report this as a bug?
 > >  >
 > >  > Do you have log rotation configured?
 > >
 > > Not that I know of. I installed the Guix System using the graphical installer, and I haven't configured anything about logs myself.
 > >
 > Guix System has a log rotation service, described here:
 > https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Log-Rotation.html
 > could you try to configure it, and see if the problem persists?

I've been using log rotation for a week now and it seems to be working alright. Logs are rotating :)

Thank, Gábor.

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-01-20 23:07         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-01-20 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Guix Help

Ok, thanks!

--

@ 2020-02-12 14:01           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-02-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:

[...]

>>> Guix System has a log rotation service, described here:
>>> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Log-Rotation.html
>>> could you try to configure it, and see if the problem persists?
>>
>> Should we include it in the examples and select it by default in the
>> installer?
>
> +1.  I too was surprised to have infinitely growing logs out of the box.
> I think it's a sane default to have a log rotation service enabled.

Alternately, what about adding ‘rottlog-service-type’ to
‘%base-services’?  That’ll pull in mcron, but I guess that’s OK.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-02-13  2:09             ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2020-02-13  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Should we include it in the examples and select it by default in the
>>> installer?
>>
>> +1.  I too was surprised to have infinitely growing logs out of the box.
>> I think it's a sane default to have a log rotation service enabled.
>
> Alternately, what about adding ‘rottlog-service-type’ to
> ‘%base-services’?  That’ll pull in mcron, but I guess that’s OK.
>
> Thoughts?

That's an even better idea, in my opinion.

Maxim

* Re: Is this normal? /var/log/messages is ~730 MB
@ 2020-02-13 12:49               ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-02-13 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: "Ludovic Courtès", help-guix

 ---- On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:09:34 -0500 Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
 >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:
 > >
 > >> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
 > >
 > > [...]
 > >>
 > >> +1.  I too was surprised to have infinitely growing logs out of the box.
 > >> I think it's a sane default to have a log rotation service enabled.
 > >
 > > Alternately, what about adding ‘rottlog-service-type’ to
 > > ‘%base-services’?  That’ll pull in mcron, but I guess that’s OK.
 > >
 > > Thoughts?
 >
 > That's an even better idea, in my opinion.

I'd like that too.