unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Qemu image asking for password
@ 2018-11-02  7:59 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-02  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hi

I recently tried firing up
https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guixsd-vm-image-0.15.0.x86_64-linux.xz
with qemu.

It booted up alright and took me to a login prompt.

I tried gnu/gnu guix/guix but it did not work.

I lookend for instructions here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Running-GuixSD-in-a-VM.html

But they were not really what I needed as they did not answer my to
questions:

 1.   how to log in?
 2.   can I use the image as a basis for contributing to guix? That is:

     1. is it readonly?
     2. if yes how do I connect a .dmg or similar virtual harddisk
        (example qemu commands or link to something helpful)?
     3. ho much space is needed on this .dmg to download the guix-source
        and compile?

Cheers

Swedebugia

* Re: Qemu image asking for password
@ 2018-11-02  8:28 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 2., P, 8:54):

> Hi
>
> I recently tried firing up https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guixsd-vm-image-0.15.0.x86_64-linux.xz with qemu.
>
> It booted up alright and took me to a login prompt.
>
> I tried gnu/gnu guix/guix but it did not work.
>
> I lookend for instructions here:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Running-GuixSD-in-a-VM.html
>
> But they were not really what I needed as they did not answer my to questions:
>
>  how to log in?

as far as I remember it comes with root as username and an empty password.

>  can I use the image as a basis for contributing to guix? That is:
>
> is it readonly?

No, it is not, unless you make it so.

> if yes how do I connect a .dmg or similar virtual harddisk (example qemu commands or link to something helpful)?

I would recommend using a qcow2 image, you can create one using
qemu-img, and then specify it on the qemu
command line just like you specify the vm image (one option is to use
the deprecated hdb, hdc ... options or
if you already specify it using the new style, then just add the hd to
a new location)

> ho much space is needed on this .dmg to download the guix-source and compile?

I don't know. But I don't think you need too much. But you most
probably have to resize
the downloaded vm image, or do some magic regarding /tmp and /gnu/store.

> Cheers
>
> Swedebugia

Best regards,
g_bor