unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Unable to Share Internet on GuixSD
@ 2019-09-11 14:42 Miguel Suarez
From: Miguel Suarez @ 2019-09-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello guix!, I'm currenctly loving GuixSD and using it as my main
distribution, but I've encountered a problem... If i want to share internet
I have to use another distro, which I don't prefer since GuixSD feels
better to me.

I use mainly GuixSD (as I said) on my main laptop, which I configured in
other several distros I used before to share internet via ethernet, to a
desktop PC. Doing this steps in any distro would always work, one of these
distros which I used before and this worked was Debian, and Fedora, for
example.

The steps as simple as:

1 - Open a terminal, write: nm-connection-editor
2 - It opens, normally you would have two devices, ethernet and wifi.
3 - Choose ethernet, go to IPv4 and change method to 'sharing'
4 - It works!

This is the same as using for example, nmcli, but faster of couse. It works
on Xfce, MATE and gnome, since they use nmcli and nm-connection-editor too.

Doing this in other distros, as I sayed before, works perfectly, in guixSD
doesn't seem to be the case, maybe something is missing, a package or
something?

Looking for packages that may be missing, I reached the Archlinux wifi for
network manager, which in one part says:

Scenario: your device has internet connection over wi-fi and you want to
share the internet connection to other devices over ethernet.

Requirements:

   - Install the dnsmasq package to be able to actually share the
   connection.
   - Your internet connected device and the other devices are connected
   over a suitable ethernet cable (this usually means a cross over cable or a
   switch in between).

Then do the steps that I already described, and it should work, my question
is... Is this necessary?, and in the case it is, should I install it on my
user, or on my next reconfigure?...

My following guix describe is:

Generación 5    08 sep 2019 22:47:08    (actual)
  guix 1d03a91
    URL del repositorio: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    rama: master
    revisión: 1d03a9198db6f3656a34d62eb89e5f7d5a99e76a

Thank you in advantage!

* Re: Unable to Share Internet on GuixSD
@ 2019-09-12 23:30 ` quiliro
From: quiliro @ 2019-09-12 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

El Mie, 11 de Septiembre de 2019, 9:42 am, Miguel Suarez escribió:

> I use mainly GuixSD (as I said) on my main laptop, which I configured in
> other several distros I used before to share internet via ethernet, to a
> desktop PC. Doing this steps in any distro would always work, one of these
> distros which I used before and this worked was Debian, and Fedora, for
> example.
>
> The steps as simple as:
>
> 1 - Open a terminal, write: nm-connection-editor
> 2 - It opens, normally you would have two devices, ethernet and wifi.
> 3 - Choose ethernet, go to IPv4 and change method to 'sharing'
> 4 - It works!

In Emacs:
C-h i m guix

Once there:
C-s share your network connection

I found:
Services
(gnu services networking)
network-manager-configuration
‘dnsmasq

It mentions nm-connection-editor. I have not read the section. But it
could be the way to learn about this topic and solve your problem or to
have more information to report an error.

Please report your new findings.