unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Cannot lock screen in lxqt desktop
@ 2024-03-01 10:28 Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2024-03-01 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guixers

When I click "Lock Screen" in the desktop menu I get a popup with the
warning

   Failed to run "xdg-screensaver lock". Ensure you have a
locker/screensaver compatible with xdg-screensaver installed and running.

I tried installing xlock and slock and setting up a screen locker
service [1] with no success.

Was anyone successfull running a screen locker in lxqt? And why does
this not work out of the box like in GNOME?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Reza

[1] screen-locker-service-type

* Re: Cannot lock screen in lxqt desktop
@ 2024-03-02 23:59 ` William
From: William @ 2024-03-02 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:28:45 +0100
Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guixers
>
> When I click "Lock Screen" in the desktop menu I get a popup with the
> warning
>
>    Failed to run "xdg-screensaver lock". Ensure you have a
> locker/screensaver compatible with xdg-screensaver installed and
> running.
>
> I tried installing xlock and slock and setting up a screen locker
> service [1] with no success.
>
> Was anyone successfull running a screen locker in lxqt? And why does
> this not work out of the box like in GNOME?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Best,
> Reza
>
> [1] screen-locker-service-type

Hello.

Did you add the boolean value to enable a PAM entry and disable the
setuid entry? Screenlockers usually refuse or complain when started with
setuid due to security.

Also xdg-screensaver is a frontend that is part of the xdg-utils
package. As far as I know, this program is only compatible with
xscreensaver or xautolock, you should try defining one of these
two on the screen-locker-service-type, not xdg-screensaver, and see if
it works.

Example:

```
(service screen-locker-service-type
         (screen-locker-configuration
           (name "xscreensaver")
           (program (file-append xscreensaver
"/bin/xscreensaver")) (using-pam? #t)
           (using-setuid? #f)))
```

* Re: Cannot lock screen in lxqt desktop
@ 2024-03-05 11:52   ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2024-03-05 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi William

Thanks for your response!

> Did you add the boolean value to enable a PAM entry and disable the
> setuid entry? Screenlockers usually refuse or complain when started with
> setuid due to security.

I tried your suggestion but with no avail.

> Also xdg-screensaver is a frontend that is part of the xdg-utils
> package. As far as I know, this program is only compatible with
> xscreensaver or xautolock, you should try defining one of these
> two on the screen-locker-service-type, not xdg-screensaver, and see if
> it works.
>
> Example:
>
> ```
> (service screen-locker-service-type
>           (screen-locker-configuration
>             (name "xscreensaver")
>             (program (file-append xscreensaver
> "/bin/xscreensaver")) (using-pam? #t)
>             (using-setuid? #f)))
> ```

I tested it with xautolock but no luck either. I get the same error
about screensaver/locker not installed. After a while my screen gets
black without locking. Moving the mouse returns the display. As I
understood xdg-utils is installed along the lxqt desktop, but I wonder
why the "Lock screen" button is not working therefore. Installing
xautolock in my home profile did also not resolve my problem.

Best,
Reza

* Re: Cannot lock screen in lxqt desktop
@ 2024-03-05 13:08     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-03-05 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Reza,

I can propose not a solution, but a workaround: Screen locking also does
not work on my Xfce desktop; so I run the command
   xlock -mode blank
from a terminal. I do not know where it comes from, but it appears as
   /run/setuid-programs/xlock
in my system.

Andreas

* Re: Cannot lock screen in lxqt desktop
@ 2024-03-05 14:09     ` William via
From: William via @ 2024-03-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello again.

Did you install xscreensaver on your user Guix profile too? If not try it. Also try invoking xdg-screensaver from a terminal, it may print more useful info about why it's failing to run the screenlocker program, like which locker exactly is trying to run.