unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
@ 2020-02-05  8:55 Todor Kondić
From: Todor Kondić @ 2020-02-05  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix\@gnu.org

Hi,

The documentation claims that emacs installed by guix "knows" where the site packages, including the guix.d installed packages are found. But, this seems not to be the case, at least for one of my setups.

I have multiple profiles, one of them reserved for emacs. Among the packages in that profile, there is only a single one in site-lisp/guix.d . This is the *ess* package. This is also a single package that does not load properly.

The EMACSLOADPATH variable contains .../share/emacs/site-lisp and .../share/emacs/26.3/lisp paths, where ... is the profile path. I do not see any mention of guix.d there, but then, maybe it is not supposed to be there.

On another computer, also with hybrid distro, I have exactly the same profile setup, but ess works. The EMACSLOADPATH seems to have been built up in an analogous fashion, again no mention of guix.d.

Does anyone have any hints as to why ess might not get properly loaded, or what should I look for? The only difference I can currently think of is that in the former case (the setup that does not work), I start emacs from the command line, and in the latter as a deamon, so there might be something wrong with the environment.

Cheers,

Todor

PS Great talks last Sunday ;-). Sorry I did not say hello to more of you, but had to catch the train back home.

* Re: Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
@ 2020-02-05 10:50 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-05 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todor Kondić; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Todor,

> The documentation claims that emacs installed by guix "knows" where
> the site packages, including the guix.d installed packages are
> found. But, this seems not to be the case, at least for one of my
> setups.

[…]

> The EMACSLOADPATH variable contains .../share/emacs/site-lisp and
> .../share/emacs/26.3/lisp paths, where ... is the profile path. I do
> not see any mention of guix.d there, but then, maybe it is not
> supposed to be there.

The guix.d directory has been removed.  What version of Guix are you using?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
@ 2020-02-05 11:34   ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2020-02-05 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, Todor Kondić; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

> The guix.d directory has been removed.  What version of Guix are you using?

`guix build emacs-ess' still seems to result in a guix.d
directory. Perhaps this is because it uses a different build system?

- Jelle

* Re: Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
@ 2020-02-05 11:39   ` Todor Kondić
From: Todor Kondić @ 2020-02-05 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix\@gnu.org

<rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Hi Todor,
>
> > The documentation claims that emacs installed by guix "knows" where
> > the site packages, including the guix.d installed packages are
> > found. But, this seems not to be the case, at least for one of my
> > setups.
>
> […]
>
> > The EMACSLOADPATH variable contains .../share/emacs/site-lisp and
> > .../share/emacs/26.3/lisp paths, where ... is the profile path. I do
> > not see any mention of guix.d there, but then, maybe it is not
> > supposed to be there.
>
> The guix.d directory has been removed. What version of Guix are you using?

> Ricardo

guix --version:

d441a6455051d70d7ff0d951c7e68318499b1739

* Re: Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
@ 2020-02-05 12:16     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-05 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>

>> The guix.d directory has been removed.  What version of Guix are you using?
>
> `guix build emacs-ess' still seems to result in a guix.d
> directory. Perhaps this is because it uses a different build system?

Yes, this would need to be updated.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
@ 2020-02-05 16:11       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-02-05 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, Jelle Licht; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

If I recall correctly, a number of packages had to be updated after the
transition to the new build system.  I suppose that emacs-ess was left aside.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs, distro with guix as package manager and guix.d
@ 2020-02-08 17:27         ` Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2020-02-08 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

emacs-ess build ESS version 17.11 which is significantly out-of-date as
well. The latest release is 18.10.

@ 2020-02-08 17:50       ` Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2020-02-08 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On my guix (d441a6455051d70d7ff0d951c7e68318499b1739), a quick search
(guix\\.d[^a-z]) using the silver-searcher reveals several additional
packages and documentation makes references to these directories
including several emacs packages as well as:

cedille in gnu/packages/cedille
uim in gnu/packages/xorg
ghc-hindent in gnu/packages/haskell-xyz