unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* New ,build command sets the wrong path for guix daemon
@ 2022-10-07 17:12 Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2022-10-07 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello!

The new ,build meta command is pretty awesome!  It works in the guix
repl, but seems to give an error in the geiser repl.

#+BEGIN_SRC org
joshua@crazyhorse ~ (master)> guix repl
GNU Guile 3.0.8
Copyright (C) 1995-2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guix-user)> ,use (guix)
scheme@(guix-user)> ,build (plain-file "the" "text")
$1 = "/gnu/store/k6mvi88r0hz4349imxzpx704lcqz3jv5-the"
#+END_SRC

But do the same in a geiser repl, and I am running into trouble:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
,m (gnu services mail)
scheme@(gnu services mail)> ,use (guix)
scheme@(gnu services mail)>
While executing meta-command:
ERROR:
  1. &store-connection-error:
      file: "/usr/local/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket"
      errno: 2
#+END_SRC

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Joshua

* Re: New ,build command sets the wrong path for guix daemon
@ 2022-10-08  8:50 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-10-08  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> But do the same in a geiser repl, and I am running into trouble:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC org
> ,m (gnu services mail)
> scheme@(gnu services mail)> ,use (guix)
> scheme@(gnu services mail)>
> While executing meta-command:
> ERROR:
>   1. &store-connection-error:
>       file: "/usr/local/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket"

Is this the location where your guix-daemon listens for connections?  If
not you’ve configured your Guix with the wrong localstatedir and/or prefix.

--
Ricardo

* Re: New ,build command sets the wrong path for guix daemon
@ 2022-10-08 15:09 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2022-10-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

October 8, 2022 4:51 AM, "Ricardo Wurmus" <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
>
>> But do the same in a geiser repl, and I am running into trouble:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC org
>> ,m (gnu services mail)
>> scheme@(gnu services mail)> ,use (guix)
>> scheme@(gnu services mail)>
>> While executing meta-command:
>> ERROR:
>> 1. &store-connection-error:
>> file: "/usr/local/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket"
>
> Is this the location where your guix-daemon listens for connections? If
> not you’ve configured your Guix with the wrong localstatedir and/or prefix.

Ahh!  duh!  I compiled guix via ./configure; make;

The fix was as you said ./configure --localstatedir=/var

Thanks for the help.  I owe you a crisp hive five at the next guix
conference!