unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io>
To: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Cc: Wojtek Kosior <koszko@koszko.org>, "(" <paren@disroot.org>,
	help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 12:55:39 -0500	[thread overview]

> Because calling “guix serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” or
> “guix-serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” is almost identical. :-)

Yes good point.

> So the true question is how to implement?  If using Shell script

Using shell scripts would mean one script per command? I usually
have a set of commands that I would like to be able to run for
every project. I would like to minimize the number of extra files
in my project directory, so I would lean towards your Scheme API
option.

> From my point of view, in this case, maybe an extension is a
> heavy
> solution when a quick script would just smooth the workflow.

Maybe it is too heavy a solution, but I do like the idea of just
needing the channels.scm, the guix.scm, and maybe a Makefile for
people who do not use guix. Or am I wrong and I would need more
files than that?

I also like that a user could find information about the project
commands using guix help. Can command extensions be grouped into a
single sub-command so I would not feel like I am polluting the
guix command namespace? Like could I run something like "guix
project serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0" or "guix project help" to
get the set of project-specific commands that I added as
extensions?

Is there some sort of extension bootstrap process where you run an
intial command in the project directory every session to add the
extensions, then the extensions are available for future commands?