unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io>
To: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Cc: "(" <paren@disroot.org>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 09:21:42 -0500	[thread overview]

> where I try to decouple what requires Guix and what not.  Well,
> I have
> not tried, but the idea is then to run:
>
>     $ guix-serial-shell.sh make serial-shell
>
> where the Makefile contains the rule:
>
>     serial-shell:
>        picocom -b 9600 -f n -y n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)

I really like your approach and your directory layout, thank you.

So you are not concerned about Makefile conflicts or using Make in
ways that may not have been intended? Maybe I should just learn to
stop worrying and love the Makefile.

It does seem to add lots of complication in order to decouple Guix
from the Makefile, though, with all the extra shell scripts and
commands. In general I like the idea of software units being
decoupled, but realistically I never want to go back to life
before Guix. Spending too much effort making it work without Guix
just encourages other people to use bad practices I am starting to
think.

I do not know enough about writing Makefiles, but is there a way
to chain together the rules and targets so you could either use
Guix or not, like a "make serial-shell" and a "make
guix-serial-shell" with the latter prepending "guix
time-machine..." to the serial-shell command?