unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* very few substitutes available?
@ 2019-01-05 17:24 Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2019-01-05 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix,

I've been attempting to update my profile for a while now (actually
the latest generation is already from july... :-) ).  I find that I
always have to build a huge number of packages, such as the entire
rust bootstrap & icecat...  I've been stuck in a loop where I run
“guix pull”, wait a few days, see that I still have to build icecat,
and try “guix pull” again, ...

How long does it typically take before substitutes are available
after pulling from master?  Or is there a way to see (from
ci.guix.info?) which revision I should pull in order to have a
maximum of substitutes available?

Thanks!

Thomas

* Re: very few substitutes available?
@ 2019-01-05 19:39 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-05 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix, Help-Guix

On 2019-01-05 18:24, Thomas Danckaert wrote:
> Hi guix,
>
> I've been attempting to update my profile for a while now (actually
> the latest generation is already from july... :-) ).  I find that I
> always have to build a huge number of packages, such as the entire
> rust bootstrap & icecat...  I've been stuck in a loop where I run
> “guix pull”, wait a few days, see that I still have to build icecat,
> and try “guix pull” again, ...
>
> How long does it typically take before substitutes are available after
> pulling from master?  Or is there a way to see (from ci.guix.info?)
> which revision I should pull in order to have a maximum of substitutes
> available?

Are you on 32 or 64 bit?
Paste "uname -a"

I had the same experience on 32-bit a month ago. 64-bit is way way
better supported by the build-farms currently for bug/technical reasons.

If you are on 32-bit you have some choices:
- change to a 64-bit machine
- wait for the builds to be done or someone to fix it
- help us find and restart the failed builds (ask Mark on guix-devel)
- build them yourself and share using ipfs and the wip-branch published
a few days ago. and invite other 32-bit users to do the same.
- sack the packages causing the rebuilds and find alternatives. E.g.
rust is drawn in by icecat. Switch to epiphany, etc.

Gnome perhaps draws in an awful lot of builds. Try xfce or stumpwm which
is way way lighter.

Given that you are the first one to notice/write about this in the
latest few months beside me I guess there are very few 32-bit users in
guixland right now so the best option might be to upgrade to 64-bit and
follow the herd.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: very few substitutes available?
@ 2019-01-06 13:14   ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2019-01-06 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix, help-guix-bounces+swedebugia=riseup.net

From: swedebugia@riseup.net
Subject: Re: very few substitutes available?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:39:03 -0800

>> How long does it typically take before substitutes are available
>> after
>> pulling from master?  Or is there a way to see (from ci.guix.info?)
>> which revision I should pull in order to have a maximum of
>> substitutes
>> available?
>
> Are you on 32 or 64 bit?
> Paste "uname -a"

Hi,

I'm on GuixSD, 64-bit.  guix --version tells me I'm on revision
afbf9763faf231c27ef25315d4d24379e1762568 (I last pulled on Jan 1).
Guix weather reports 85.2% substitutes available, but then when I run
'guix package' with that manifest, I find myself building
(bootstrap?) binutils, glib, and multiple versions of gcc.  It
doesn't even seem to look for substitutes (?):

$ guix package --manifest=config/manifest.scm
installing new manifest from 'config/manifest.scm' with 62 entries
building
/gnu/store/nqdhvdaxljy8isvnvs9bawaj7q31z9vh-glibc-2.28.tar.xz.drv...
downloading from
https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.28.tar.xz...
building
/gnu/store/dyw59i3xi8j7xszrdxcl1zzmg3qmx4ly-gcc-4.9.4.tar.bz2.drv...
downloading from
https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.9.4/gcc-4.9.4.tar.bz2...
building
/gnu/store/qvnd4g7maw20jb2gv1x9w3rnf3bsm0hx-gcc-5.5.0.tar.xz.drv...
downloading from
https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-5.5.0/gcc-5.5.0.tar.xz...
[...]

Strangely, I *do* get substitutes when I specify
--substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org.

What substitute server is currently recommended?  Or what could be
wrong with my setup that I'm not finding these substitutes
automatically?

@ 2019-01-06 16:39     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-01-06 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix, help-guix-bounces+swedebugia=riseup.net

Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> writes:

> Strangely, I *do* get substitutes when I specify
> --substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org.
>
> What substitute server is currently recommended?  Or what could be
> wrong with my setup that I'm not finding these substitutes
> automatically?

Double check that the key for ci.guix.info is in fact authorized.  You
can look at /etc/guix/acl and/or run “guix archive --authorize <
~/.config/guix/current/share/guix/ci.guix.info.pub”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: very few substitutes available?
@ 2019-01-11 21:26       ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2019-01-11 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: help-guix, help-guix-bounces+swedebugia=riseup.net

From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 17:39:26 +0100

> Double check that the key for ci.guix.info is in fact authorized.
> You can look at /etc/guix/acl and/or run “guix archive --authorize <
> ~/.config/guix/current/share/guix/ci.guix.info.pub”.

How can I see if my /etc/guix/acl is ok?  I see a sexp with what looks
like a list containing a single (public-key (rsa (n [...]) (e
[...]))).  Is it normal to have just a single public-key in that list
(I had expected 2 or 3, or hydra, berlin, and ci.guix.info)?

Is it still ok to have "https://berlin.guixsd.org" in the list of
substitute-urls of my guix daemon service?

@ 2019-01-11 22:07         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2019-01-11 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix, help-guix-bounces+swedebugia=riseup.net

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:26:02PM +0100, Thomas Danckaert wrote:
> From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
> Subject: Re: very few substitutes available?
> Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 17:39:26 +0100
>
> > Double check that the key for ci.guix.info is in fact authorized.
> > You can look at /etc/guix/acl and/or run “guix archive --authorize <
> > ~/.config/guix/current/share/guix/ci.guix.info.pub”.
>
> How can I see if my /etc/guix/acl is ok?  I see a sexp with what looks
> like a list containing a single (public-key (rsa (n [...]) (e
> [...]))).  Is it normal to have just a single public-key in that list
> (I had expected 2 or 3, or hydra, berlin, and ci.guix.info)?

<hydra.gnu.org>'s key is RSA, but <berlin.guixsd.org> and <ci.giux.info>
use ECC (Ed25519) keys. If you keep authorizing keys, they will be
appended to the acl file.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: very few substitutes available?
@ 2019-01-12  7:11         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-01-12  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix, help-guix-bounces+swedebugia=riseup.net

Hi Thomas,

> Is it still ok to have "https://berlin.guixsd.org" in the list of
> substitute-urls of my guix daemon service?

ci.guix.info is the same server as berlin.guixsd.org at the moment.  It
uses the same key.  If you haven’t authorized that key you won’t get
substitutes from there, no matter which of the two URLs you use.

--
Ricardo