unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* installing a package not from GNU
@ 2022-02-23 18:52 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-23 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
I wanted to install a package "gtkhash" which I could not find in GNU
packages.
How can I install it?
After downloading it and trying to install it, it said: unknown package

guix install gtkhash-1.4
guix install: Fehler: gtkhash-1.4: Unbekanntes Paket

What to do, if I don´t find a package in GNU and I would like to install it?

gottfried

* Re: installing a package not from GNU
@ 2022-02-23 22:36 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-02-23 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

> I wanted to install a package "gtkhash" which I could not find in GNU
> packages.
> How can I install it?
> After downloading it and trying to install it, it said: unknown package
>
> guix install gtkhash-1.4
> guix install: Fehler: gtkhash-1.4: Unbekanntes Paket

Guix only knows of packages for which there is a package definition.
There is no package definition for gtkhash.

Guix unfortunately cannot just take any tarball and build it.

The good news is that writing a package definition (and optionally
adding it to Guix) can be straight forward.  This is the build system
file:

   https://github.com/tristanheaven/gtkhash/blob/master/meson.build

There we see that it needs a bunch of things (like nettle, blake2, zlib,
mbedtls, openssl, etc) for which we should have packages.  Packaging it
may be a little tricky because of the many dependencies, but it looks
doable.  We could do this together if you want.

Another thing I felt the need to clarify: Guix has thousands of packages
that are not GNU packages.  I think you meant that there is no package
definition for gtkhash in gnu/packages/*.scm, which is correct.

--
Ricardo

* Re: installing a package not from GNU
@ 2022-02-24 17:09   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-24 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

  "We could do this together if you want."

For me it's like to learn Chinese. I don't know where to start and where
to finish. Almost everything is strange to me, if I look at the github
repository.
So I am wondering that You are asking me for building it together.
The question would also be how long would it take, because I would have
to learn programming. You would have to do almost all and I would need a
lot of explanation, and I don't know if you have time for it.

gottfried

@ 2022-03-02 17:52 ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2022-03-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
> I wanted to install a package "gtkhash" which I could not find in GNU
> packages.
> How can I install it?
> After downloading it and trying to install it, it said: unknown package
>
> guix install gtkhash-1.4
> guix install: Fehler: gtkhash-1.4: Unbekanntes Paket
>

> What to do, if I don´t find a package in GNU and I would like to install it?

You need to create a Guix package definition for the package you want to
install. Assuming you have placed your definition in a file called
gtkhash.scm, you can install it with this command:

guix package -f gtkhash.scm

See the Guix manual for instructions on how to write a package definition.

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.