unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Has anyone ever used kmscon successfully
@ 2018-12-16  5:54 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2018-12-16  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix,

I’m curious about terminal alternatives so I was pretty excited to see kmscon as a service. What do I need to do aside from add the service? All I see with the following is blinking cursor on tty8:

(modify-services
             %desktop-services
             ('kmscon c => (kmscon-configuration (virtual-terminal "tty8"))))))

Thank you for everything,

John

* Re: Has anyone ever used kmscon successfully
@ 2018-12-16 10:33 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2018-12-16 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

Hi John,

I built the new GuixSD installer upon kmscon. It works pretty well and
is a good alternative to raw linux VT's in my opinion.

> (modify-services
>              %desktop-services
>              ('kmscon c => (kmscon-configuration (virtual-terminal "tty8"))))))

modify-services implies that there's already a kmscon service in
%desktop-services, which is not the case. Plus 'kmscon is not a proper
service type.

You might prefer to write something like (not tested):

(cons* (service kmscon-service-type
                  (kmscon-configuration
                    (virtual-terminal "tty8")))
        %desktop-services)

Mathieu

* Re: Has anyone ever used kmscon successfully
@ 2018-12-16 13:13   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2018-12-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks!

 I have a lot to learn about services!  Seems nice so far.  Do you know if there will be any more development on kmscon or is it only in maintenance?

Works like a charm.

- John

@ 2018-12-17  4:26     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2018-12-17  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

Hello John,

>  I have a lot to learn about services!  Seems nice so far.  Do you know if there will be any more development on kmscon or is it only in maintenance?

The original author David Herrmann seems to have stop kmscon
developments in 2014. Guix now uses the forked kmscon package hosted at
https://github.com/Aetf/kmscon, which contains a few fixes and
improvements.

> Works like a charm.

Good to know :)