unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Can't open a container-shell
@ 2022-03-02 19:06 Cássio Tavares
From: Cássio Tavares @ 2022-03-02 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I have created a profile from the attached `manifest.scm`, meant to be used
in a container shell, so as to isolate activity X from the everything else.
After everything was setup, I tried to initiate the shell with this command:

guix shell  -c 4 -M 6 --no-cwd --pure --container --network \
            --manifest=./etc/manifest.scm                   \
            --share=./home/sys-conf                         \
            --user=sys-conf                                 \
            --profile=./home/sys-conf/.guix-profile         \
            --preserve='^DISPLAY$'

But this doesn't work, and I get this error message:

guix shell: error: "--profile" can't be used with package options

What does this mean? What did I do wrong? And what should I do?
Thanks,
Cássio

* Re: Can't open a container-shell
@ 2022-03-02 19:10 ` Cássio Tavares
From: Cássio Tavares @ 2022-03-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Forgot the attatchment...

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 7:06 PM Cássio Tavares <cassio.ufg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have created a profile from the attached `manifest.scm`, meant to be
> used in a container shell, so as to isolate activity X from the everything
> else. After everything was setup, I tried to initiate the shell with this
> command:
>
> guix shell  -c 4 -M 6 --no-cwd --pure --container --network \
>             --manifest=./etc/manifest.scm                   \
>             --share=./home/sys-conf                         \
>             --user=sys-conf                                 \
>             --profile=./home/sys-conf/.guix-profile         \
>             --preserve='^DISPLAY$'
>

> But this doesn't work, and I get this error message:
>
> guix shell: error: "--profile" can't be used with package options
>

> What does this mean? What did I do wrong? And what should I do?
> Thanks,
> Cássio

[-- Attachment #2: manifest.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 355 bytes --]

;;\
;; | This is the manifest for the Guix shell environment
;; +----------------------------------------------------

(specifications->manifest
  (list
    "guix"
    "bash"
    "coreutils"
    "moreutils"
    "guile"
    "git"
    "guile-gitlab"
    "openssh"
    "nano"
    "less"
    "grep"
    "exa"
    "vim"
    "neovim"
    "ungoogled-chromium"))

* Re: Can't open a container-shell
@ 2022-03-03  3:09 ` Dominic Martinez
From: Dominic Martinez @ 2022-03-03  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Cássio Tavares <cassio.ufg@gmail.com> writes:

> I have created a profile from the attached `manifest.scm`, meant
> to be used
> in a container shell, so as to isolate activity X from the
> everything else.
> After everything was setup, I tried to initiate the shell with
> this command:
>
> guix shell  -c 4 -M 6 --no-cwd --pure --container --network \
>             --manifest=./etc/manifest.scm                   \
>             --share=./home/sys-conf                         \
>             --user=sys-conf                                 \
>             --profile=./home/sys-conf/.guix-profile         \
>             --preserve='^DISPLAY$'
>

> But this doesn't work, and I get this error message:
>
> guix shell: error: "--profile" can't be used with package
> options

--profile sources an existing guix profile (which is a group of
  package installations), while --manifest or other package
  options create a new profile with the defined packages. These
  two things are contradictory.

Is there a specific reason you included the --profile flag? I
think you'll probably get the behaviour you imagine without it.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Can't open a container-shell
@ 2022-03-08 10:49   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-03-08 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominic Martinez, Cássio Tavares; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Dominic Martinez <dom@dominicm.dev> skribis:

> Is there a specific reason you included the --profile flag? I think
> you'll probably get the behaviour you imagine without it.

Agreed, you should drop ‘--profile’, Cássio.

HTH,
Ludo’.