unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Why does sbcl@2.3.7 depends on bash-minimal@5.1.16
@ 2023-12-07  9:28 Pan Xie
  2023-12-10  9:00 ` Efraim Flashner
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Pan Xie @ 2023-12-07  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello

I find this interesting thing but I don't have an explanation. If I 
query the "references" of my store item "sbcl", it shows that sbcl 
reference bash-mininal, as the following output:

# guix gc --references /gnu/store/sbbp9nvslqcf3bmcnz5wgxf2qpsi757$
/gnu/store/6ncav55lbk5kqvwwflrzcr41hp5jbq0c-gcc-11.3.0-lib
/gnu/store/ln6hxqjvz6m9gdd9s97pivlqck7hzs99-glibc-2.35
/gnu/store/mzx7j93w5szyzrgnql8dqhqdgjh6si02-mpfr-4.2.0
/gnu/store/nl194qnq5lhjxpfwcs15xqihnfqif335-zstd-1.5.2-lib
/gnu/store/sbbp9nvslqcf3bmcnz5wgxf2qpsi757i-sbcl-2.3.7
/gnu/store/v9p25q9l5nnaixkhpap5rnymmwbhf9rp-bash-minimal-5.1.16
/gnu/store/ybadavwz1z9kmxanqy3siw38lnkwnkrp-gmp-6.2.1

But when I look into sbcl's package definition, there is no 
"bash-minimal" as its input. I use "guix graph" find a path from sbcl to 
bash-minimal:

# guix graph --path sbcl bash-minimal
sbcl@2.3.7
texlive-updmap.cfg@66594
texlive-scheme-basic@66594
texlive-collection-basic@66594
texlive-bin@20230313
cairo@1.16.0
bash-minimal@5.1.16

But I think that is build time dependency, not run time. cairo also 
requires "ghostscript" as its input, which is not referenced by sbcl.

If I run "guix size sbcl" or "guix pack sbcl", bash-minimal also 
included. I think SBCL might require "sh" to execute some script files,

but I can't figure out how guix decides "bash-minimal" is part of sbcl. 
Would some one please tell me

which part of codes in sbcl's package definition make guix include 
"bash-minimal" into sbcl's references?

Thanks,

Pan



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Why does sbcl@2.3.7 depends on bash-minimal@5.1.16
  2023-12-07  9:28 Why does sbcl@2.3.7 depends on bash-minimal@5.1.16 Pan Xie
@ 2023-12-10  9:00 ` Efraim Flashner
  2024-01-18 11:35   ` Simon Tournier
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-12-10  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pan Xie; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2054 bytes --]

On Thu, Dec 07, 2023 at 05:28:47PM +0800, Pan Xie wrote:
> Hello
> 
> I find this interesting thing but I don't have an explanation. If I query
> the "references" of my store item "sbcl", it shows that sbcl reference
> bash-mininal, as the following output:
> 
> # guix gc --references /gnu/store/sbbp9nvslqcf3bmcnz5wgxf2qpsi757$
> /gnu/store/6ncav55lbk5kqvwwflrzcr41hp5jbq0c-gcc-11.3.0-lib
> /gnu/store/ln6hxqjvz6m9gdd9s97pivlqck7hzs99-glibc-2.35
> /gnu/store/mzx7j93w5szyzrgnql8dqhqdgjh6si02-mpfr-4.2.0
> /gnu/store/nl194qnq5lhjxpfwcs15xqihnfqif335-zstd-1.5.2-lib
> /gnu/store/sbbp9nvslqcf3bmcnz5wgxf2qpsi757i-sbcl-2.3.7
> /gnu/store/v9p25q9l5nnaixkhpap5rnymmwbhf9rp-bash-minimal-5.1.16
> /gnu/store/ybadavwz1z9kmxanqy3siw38lnkwnkrp-gmp-6.2.1
> 
> But when I look into sbcl's package definition, there is no "bash-minimal"
> as its input. I use "guix graph" find a path from sbcl to bash-minimal:
> 
> # guix graph --path sbcl bash-minimal
> sbcl@2.3.7
> texlive-updmap.cfg@66594
> texlive-scheme-basic@66594
> texlive-collection-basic@66594
> texlive-bin@20230313
> cairo@1.16.0
> bash-minimal@5.1.16
> 
> But I think that is build time dependency, not run time. cairo also requires
> "ghostscript" as its input, which is not referenced by sbcl.
> 
> If I run "guix size sbcl" or "guix pack sbcl", bash-minimal also included. I
> think SBCL might require "sh" to execute some script files,
> 
> but I can't figure out how guix decides "bash-minimal" is part of sbcl.
> Would some one please tell me
> 
> which part of codes in sbcl's package definition make guix include
> "bash-minimal" into sbcl's references?

I would suggest checking the output of
'grep bash-minimal /gnu/store/sbbp9nvslqcf3bmcnz5wgxf2qpsi757 -R' and
that should let you see which files include a reference to bash-minimal.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Why does sbcl@2.3.7 depends on bash-minimal@5.1.16
  2023-12-10  9:00 ` Efraim Flashner
@ 2024-01-18 11:35   ` Simon Tournier
  2024-01-18 18:42     ` Felix Lechner via
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-01-18 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, Pan Xie; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On dim., 10 déc. 2023 at 11:00, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2023 at 05:28:47PM +0800, Pan Xie wrote:

>> which part of codes in sbcl's package definition make guix include
>> "bash-minimal" into sbcl's references?
>
> I would suggest checking the output of
> 'grep bash-minimal /gnu/store/sbbp9nvslqcf3bmcnz5wgxf2qpsi757 -R' and
> that should let you see which files include a reference to bash-minimal.

Here the references:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ grep -R bash-minimal $(guix build sbcl --no-grafts | grep -v doc)
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/asdf/uiop.lisp:              #+os-unix (string `("/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh" "-c" ,command))
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/asdf/uiop.lisp:                  #+os-unix ,@'(ext:run-program "/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh" :arguments `("-c" ,%command))
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/asdf/pull-asdf.sh:#!/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh -e
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/asdf/asdf.lisp:              #+os-unix (string `("/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh" "-c" ,command))
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/asdf/asdf.lisp:                  #+os-unix ,@'(ext:run-program "/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh" :arguments `("-c" ,%command))
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/sb-executable/sb-executable.lisp:  "#!/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh --
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/sb-aclrepl/repl.lisp:  (sb-ext:run-program "/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh" (list "-c" string-arg)
/gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/share/sbcl/contrib/sb-posix/posix-tests.lisp:           (stat-2 (sb-posix:stat "/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/sh"
grep: /gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/lib/sbcl/contrib/sb-executable.fasl: binary file matches
grep: /gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/lib/sbcl/contrib/uiop.fasl: binary file matches
grep: /gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/lib/sbcl/contrib/asdf.fasl: binary file matches
grep: /gnu/store/8x97g65zpf35bf4lympy3wsgpf0v4vgh-sbcl-2.3.7/lib/sbcl/contrib/sb-aclrepl.fasl: binary file matches
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

What is not clear for me is that bash-minimal is not an inputs of the
package sbcl.

Cheers,
simon




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Why does sbcl@2.3.7 depends on bash-minimal@5.1.16
  2024-01-18 11:35   ` Simon Tournier
@ 2024-01-18 18:42     ` Felix Lechner via
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-01-18 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Efraim Flashner, Pan Xie; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 18 2024, Simon Tournier wrote:

> What is not clear for me is that bash-minimal is not an inputs of the
> package sbcl.

Does it get pulled in via the use of 'which'? [1]

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://codeberg.org/lechner/guix/src/branch/master/guix/build/utils.scm#L1328


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2024-01-18 18:42 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2023-12-07  9:28 Why does sbcl@2.3.7 depends on bash-minimal@5.1.16 Pan Xie
2023-12-10  9:00 ` Efraim Flashner
2024-01-18 11:35   ` Simon Tournier
2024-01-18 18:42     ` Felix Lechner via

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).