unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* MySQL configuration: root password?
@ 2019-02-20  9:14 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-02-20  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help guix

I'm trying to set up a MySQL service.

From the Guix manual:

 -- Data Type: mysql-configuration
     Data type representing the configuration of MYSQL-SERVICE.

     ‘mysql’ (default: MARIADB)
          Package object of the MySQL database server, can be either
          MARIADB or MYSQL.

          For MySQL, a temporary root password will be displayed at
          activation time.  For MariaDB, the root password is empty.

What does "activation time" mean here.
I don't see any password in `guix system reconfigure` or `herd restart
mysql`.
Am I missing something?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MySQL configuration: root password?
@ 2019-02-22  3:44 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-02-22  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Help guix

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> From the Guix manual:
>
>  -- Data Type: mysql-configuration
>      Data type representing the configuration of MYSQL-SERVICE.
>
>      ‘mysql’ (default: MARIADB)
>           Package object of the MySQL database server, can be either
>           MARIADB or MYSQL.
>
>           For MySQL, a temporary root password will be displayed at
>           activation time.  For MariaDB, the root password is empty.
>
> What does "activation time" mean here.
> I don't see any password in `guix system reconfigure` or `herd restart
> mysql`.
> Am I missing something?

Usually, activation happens during boot.  Have you tried rebooting, and
did you see anything at that time?

--
Chris

@ 2019-02-22  7:54   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-02-22  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: Help guix

I've rebooted, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to see those messages, they
scroll through pretty fast!  I feel like I must be misunderstanding :p

--

@ 2019-02-22  8:33     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-02-22  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Help guix