unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* [OT] Free software compatible Multifuncion printer
@ 2020-04-22 16:20 Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2020-04-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello guix users!

sorry for this OT, I know there are other community channels to search
for this kind of information but they are really scarce:
https://h-node.org/printers/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/compatibility/undef?search_string=MFP&submit=Search

Please do you have a suggestion on a MFP (Multifunction Printer) that
can print _and_ scan using just free software, without additional
proprietary blobs?

This is somewhat a follow-up on Chris Marusich help request... more than
one year later:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-03/msg00113.html

I'm too much sad about the hardware compatibility with free software in
2020... since 2003 :-(... and this is _not_ a free software community
fault.

I just got a brend new HP LaserJet MFP M227sdn, HP ships hplip &
co. since long ago and they have a pretty informative list of supported
printers

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

Column 3 of that list is about "Driver Plug-in" and that column says
"No" for my printer [1], so my printer and scanner should be fully
supported.

...but I just found that if I do not install the proprietary binary (via
"sudo hp-plugin") the scan function just does not work; I've also opened
a bug report via the only official channel availabre from HP:
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/support

...that means a bug report on Ubuntu Launchpad :-S
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1874254

I'm considering opening an official complaint with HP and returning the
MFP printer, but I'd also like to know how can I solve my issue: I'd
really like a printer and scanner in one appliance.

The alternative oprion is to continue like I did since yesterday: keep
printer and scanner separate, so I'll have more options to find a
completely free software compatible scanner via SANE Project

Any hit is appreciated
Thanks! Giovanni

[1] ("Required") A downloadable driver plug-in is required for printing
support. ("Optional") A downloadable driver plug-in is optional for
printing support and may increase the speed, quality, or other aspect of
printed output. ("No" or "None") A driver plug-in is not required nor
available. Driver plug-ins are released under a proprietary (non-open)
license and are not part of the HPLIP tarball release. For more
information, please refer to this
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/binary_plugin.html

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* sane-airscan (Re: [OT] Free software compatible Multifuncion printer
@ 2020-04-23 13:26 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2020-04-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix