unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Using local package
@ 2018-11-13  7:31 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-11-13  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hi all,

I am wondering about a specific dilemma for developers. I know that I
can run a specific guix environment container of sorts to hack on
package code, but I am curious about how I could do about using that
locally checked out code to build it and run it.

For example, if I git clone emacs and hacked on the source of the
lastest 27.x master branch, what might be the best way to test my
changes without affecting a new revision to my local profile?

Best,
Brett Gilio

* Re: Using local package
@ 2018-11-13  8:42 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-13  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Brett,

> I am wondering about a specific dilemma for developers. I know that I
> can run a specific guix environment container of sorts to hack on
> package code, but I am curious about how I could do about using that
> locally checked out code to build it and run it.

You can generate a tarball (e.g. with “make dist”) and then run

    guix build the-package \
         --with-source=the-tarball.tar.gz

“guix build” returns the store path to the newly built item.  It won’t
result in a new generation of your profile.  You can usually run the
software using the full store path.

--
Ricardo