unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* information about new packages in guix available
@ 2022-03-04 20:44 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-04 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
I would like to know when new packages, (I don't mean updates to
packages), in guix are available.

Is it the same to new packages in GNU, which I could know through the
"info-gnu@gnu.org mailing list or is there a difference between GNU
packages and guix packages?

It would safe time to be informed and not look sometimes at the guix
packages available in https://guix.gnu.org/de/packages/

Gottfried

* Re: information about new packages in guix available
@ 2022-03-04 21:17 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-03-04 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

> I would like to know when new packages, (I don't mean updates to
> packages), in guix are available.

Whenever you run “guix pull” it will print information about new and
updated packages.

You should run “guix pull” somewhat regularly anyway, so that you can
get fixes for security vulnerabilities.

> It would safe time to be informed and not look sometimes at the guix
> packages available in https://guix.gnu.org/de/packages/

I suggest using “guix package --list-available” or “guix search”
instead.

--
Ricardo

* Re: information about new packages in guix available
@ 2022-03-05 13:28 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-03-05 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi, Gottfried,

On Friday, March 4th, 2022 at 8:44 PM, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would like to know when new packages, (I don't mean updates to
> packages), in guix are available.

I was thinking about this too yesterday. I wanted to know which games were added recently.

As far as I know info-gnu is for GNU Projects only, while Guix packages libre software and libre cultural works from any project, including GNU.

> It would safe time to be informed and not look sometimes at the guix packages available in https://guix.gnu.org/de/packages/

It would be a nice service to have.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: information about new packages in guix available
@ 2022-03-06 16:05   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-03-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

thank you,
when I run "guix package --list-available" it doesn't show me the new
packages, which I am looking for, but the whole list of all packages.

I would like to know which new packages are included into the list of
available packages.
that would be great.
How can I reach this goal?

When I do a "guix search", what options I should use.
I always have trouble with the mentioning of options.

Gottfried

@ 2022-03-06 16:43     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-03-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Gottfried, Ricardo Wurmus

On 6 March 2022 16:05:07 UTC, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
>thank you,
>when I run "guix package --list-available" it doesn't show me the new packages, which I am looking for, but the whole list of all packages.
>
>I would like to know which new packages are included into the list of available packages.
>that would be great.
>How can I reach this goal?
>
>When I do a "guix search", what options I should use.
>I always have trouble with the mentioning of options.
>
>Gottfried
>

>Am 04.03.22 um 22:17 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
>>
>> Hi Gottfried,
>>
>>> I would like to know when new packages, (I don't mean updates to
>>> packages), in guix are available.
>>
>> Whenever you run “guix pull” it will print information about new and
>> updated packages.
>>
>> You should run “guix pull” somewhat regularly anyway, so that you can
>> get fixes for security vulnerabilities.
>>
>>> It would safe time to be informed and not look sometimes at the guix
>>> packages available in https://guix.gnu.org/de/packages/
>>
>> I suggest using “guix package --list-available” or “guix search”
>> instead.

Gottfried,

The question is of course 'new compared to when', but the most sensible answer is given by 'guix pull --news --details'.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: information about new packages in guix available
@ 2022-03-08  6:52 ` Remco
From: Remco @ 2022-03-08  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

2022/03/04 20:44, Gottfried:

> I would like to know when new packages, (I don't mean updates to
> packages), in guix are available.
>
> Is it the same to new packages in GNU, which I could know through the
> "info-gnu@gnu.org mailing list or is there a difference between GNU
> packages and guix packages?
>
> It would safe time to be informed and not look sometimes at the guix
> packages available in https://guix.gnu.org/de/packages/

I just keep an eye on:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/

The commit message titles have a pretty rigid format where all starting
with "gnu: Add" will get you what you want.

R.