unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* What are you doing for a screen locker?
@ 2023-01-21 18:44 Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2023-01-21 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I used to use xscreensaver.  I kinda miss it.  It's still broken, see
bug #57919.

But really, the lack of xscreensaver has made me move back to Gnome and
recently Gnome started having weird bugs on my hardware, so then I
wanted to move back to stumpwm.  But I simply don't understand how to
get screen locking to work right without xscreensaver, which at least
had made it relatively easy.

The cookbook contains some info on how to use session locking with xorg
but it doesn't seem like complete information.  I'd be interested if
people would share their configurations.  Thanks!

* Re: What are you doing for a screen locker?
@ 2023-01-21 19:54 ` kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2023-01-21 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber, help-guix

On 1/21/23 13:44, Christine Lemmer-Webber wrote:
> I used to use xscreensaver.  I kinda miss it.  It's still broken, see
> bug #57919.
>
> But really, the lack of xscreensaver has made me move back to Gnome and
> recently Gnome started having weird bugs on my hardware, so then I
> wanted to move back to stumpwm.  But I simply don't understand how to
> get screen locking to work right without xscreensaver, which at least
> had made it relatively easy.
>
> The cookbook contains some info on how to use session locking with xorg
> but it doesn't seem like complete information.  I'd be interested if
> people would share their configurations.  Thanks!

xlockmore and slock are installed in %base-packages and should work out
of the box on Xorg.

* Re: What are you doing for a screen locker?
@ 2023-01-23  1:17   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-01-23  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiasoc5; +Cc: Christine Lemmer-Webber, help-guix

Hi,

kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:

> On 1/21/23 13:44, Christine Lemmer-Webber wrote:
>> I used to use xscreensaver.  I kinda miss it.  It's still broken, see
>> bug #57919.
>> But really, the lack of xscreensaver has made me move back to Gnome
>> and
>> recently Gnome started having weird bugs on my hardware, so then I
>> wanted to move back to stumpwm.  But I simply don't understand how to
>> get screen locking to work right without xscreensaver, which at least
>> had made it relatively easy.
>> The cookbook contains some info on how to use session locking with
>> xorg
>> but it doesn't seem like complete information.  I'd be interested if
>> people would share their configurations.  Thanks!
>>

> xlockmore and slock are installed in %base-packages and should work
> out of the box on Xorg.

I use xlockmore, but beware that it'll peak one of your core 100% while
used.  Perhaps there's something better?

Maxim

* Re: What are you doing for a screen locker?
@ 2023-01-23  1:24 ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2023-01-23  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: help-guix

I've been using slock, which seems to work with AwesomeWM and StumpWM. I'm not sure how I feel running suckless things though. The setup Leah mentioned on the Fedi [ <https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2020/01/x11-screen-locking-a-secure-and-modular-approach.html> ] sounds interesting, if more complicated.

-B.