unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* CJK font issues on GDM screen
@ 2022-04-13 13:27 Taiju HIGASHI
From: Taiju HIGASHI @ 2022-04-13 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I am not currently having trouble, but I do have one question.

I have had trouble displaying CJK fonts on the GDM screen.

I have followed the steps below to install Guix initially, which
allows me to temporarily display CJK fonts on the GDM screen.

1. Specify `ja_JP.utf8` as locale on the graphical installation screen.
2. Set CJK fonts to be installed globally.
3. Execute the installation.

However, if I run `guix system reconfigure` after this, I cannot see
the CJK fonts on the GDM screen. (The letters will be tofu.)

I asked on #guix on IRC and was given a solution, so I am not
troubled, but the following questions remain.

https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2022-04-09.log#174359

  1. Why do I see CJK fonts on the GDM screen after setting the locale
     and installing CJK fonts during the initial installation?
  2. Why can't I see CJK fonts on the GDM screen after running `guix
     system reconfigure`?

Is there a special process to generate a font cache during initial
installation?
Also, is that process absent when the system is reconfigured?

I feel that it would be desirable for the system to behave the same
when reconfigured as when initially installed.

Thank you.

* Re: CJK font issues on GDM screen
@ 2022-04-14  0:23 ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2022-04-14  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taiju HIGASHI; +Cc: help-guix

Taiju HIGASHI <higashi@taiju.info> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am not currently having trouble, but I do have one question.
>
> I have had trouble displaying CJK fonts on the GDM screen.
>
> I have followed the steps below to install Guix initially, which
> allows me to temporarily display CJK fonts on the GDM screen.
>
> 1. Specify `ja_JP.utf8` as locale on the graphical installation screen.
> 2. Set CJK fonts to be installed globally.
> 3. Execute the installation.
>
> However, if I run `guix system reconfigure` after this, I cannot see
> the CJK fonts on the GDM screen. (The letters will be tofu.)

I have faced the same problem, so I have switched to use slim, which
*only* show English, so have no this problem :-\

@ 2022-04-14  5:26   ` Taiju HIGASHI
From: Taiju HIGASHI @ 2022-04-14  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feng Shu; +Cc: help-guix

I knew it.
I know there are not many Guix users in Japan, but I was wondering how other languages users are solving this problem.
Is this problem that does not occur with SLiM?

@ 2022-04-14  7:35     ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2022-04-14  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taiju HIGASHI; +Cc: help-guix

Taiju HIGASHI <higashi@taiju.info> writes:

> I knew it.
> I know there are not many Guix users in Japan, but I was wondering how other languages users are solving this problem.
> Is this problem that does not occur with SLiM?

I do not know, slim just show English, do not use CJK.

@ 2022-04-14 11:28 ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2022-04-14 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taiju HIGASHI; +Cc: help-guix

Taiju HIGASHI <higashi@taiju.info> writes:

The problem is that gdm can not find a CJK fonts.
you can try:

              (modify-services %desktop-services
                 (gdm-service-type
                  config => (gdm-configuration
                             (inherit config)
                             (gnome-shell-assets
                              (list adwaita-icon-theme
                                    ;; the below is a CJK font
                                    font-wqy-microhei)))))

Maybe we should add an example to guix document.