unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Could anyone please package RStudio?
@ 2020-02-02 22:17 Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2020-02-02 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dear Guix,

Now that Qt 5.12 and qtwebengine have been added to Guix, would an
experienced packager be able to add RStudio to Guix? It appears that all
of the dependencies referenced in the NixOS package definition are also
packaged for Guix. Many thousands of R users are enthusiastic about
Reproducible Research* and if RStudio were available to interface with
the impressive set of R packages from CRAN already available, it would
make Guix a very attractive choice for many R users.

I've tried tackling packaging it myself, but as primarily an applied R
user and not a system administrator the RStudio IDE appears much more
complicated than packaging an R library. This IDE is AGPL licensed and
is split into two parts a server and a desktop version. Below I provide
links to the NixOS RStudio package along with Rekado's package of an
older version of RStudio (which also didn't build for me).

- https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/r-modules/wrapper-rstudio.nix
- https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/f024caa7a8f274a16048e71c30e1bac9e75c0ab4/pkgs/applications/editors/rstudio/default.nix
- https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/guix-bimsb/blob/master/bimsb/packages/staging.scm

* For example, so notes on reproducible research in R from Karl Broman:
  https://kbroman.org/Tools4RR

Thanks for any and all developments on this front. I am extremely
grateful for all the work everyone in this community has done to bring
Guix so far. If there is anything I can do to help with getting this
packaged, please let me know. I'm eager to get on with my research, but
I would love to be able to do that from Guix so that I will know for
sure I will be able to reproduce my work :)

Thanks,
Kyle

* Re: Could anyone please package RStudio?
@ 2020-02-02 23:24 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-02 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Andrews; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Kyle,

> Now that Qt 5.12 and qtwebengine have been added to Guix, would an
> experienced packager be able to add RStudio to Guix?
[…]
> Below I provide
> links to the NixOS RStudio package along with Rekado's package of an
> older version of RStudio (which also didn't build for me).
>
> - https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/r-modules/wrapper-rstudio.nix
> - https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/f024caa7a8f274a16048e71c30e1bac9e75c0ab4/pkgs/applications/editors/rstudio/default.nix
> - https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/guix-bimsb/blob/master/bimsb/packages/staging.scm

It’s on my list to eventually package a more recent version of Rstudio.
I’ve been using the older version for quite some time at the institute,
but it’s possible that with recent upgrades to Guix the package no
longer builds.

One obstacle to adding RStudio to Guix is that Java to JavaScript
compiler that hasn’t been packaged yet.  In my package definition we’re
using the prebuilt Jar as a blob.

I won’t be able to work on this soon (probably not before March), but I
can lend a hand to whoever would like to package RStudio now.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Could anyone please package RStudio?
@ 2020-02-03  5:51   ` Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2020-02-03  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Hi Kyle,

Hi Ricardo,

> It’s on my list to eventually package a more recent version of Rstudio.
> I’ve been using the older version for quite some time at the institute,
> but it’s possible that with recent upgrades to Guix the package no
> longer builds.
>
> One obstacle to adding RStudio to Guix is that Java to JavaScript
> compiler that hasn’t been packaged yet.  In my package definition we’re
> using the prebuilt Jar as a blob.

I read a little about these Google GWT
(http://www.gwtproject.org/gettingstarted.html) and Google GIN
(https://gwtplus.github.io/google-gin/site/index.html) packages. Both
pieces of software are licensed asl2.0. From what I could tell reading
the documentation for GWT, it doesn't appear to need to be
built. Atleast with my monkey patching I noticed it complaining that:

    Buildfile: build.xml does not exist!

The same thing happens with GIN, but I have never used either of these
tools so I'm in the dark with respect to their typical behavior. I tried
to build both of these packages, but I don't really know what I'm
doing. I put the package definitions I wrote in a snippet on the Debian
pastebin here:

https://paste.debian.net/1128951

Maybe it may at least save someone a minute or two?

> I won’t be able to work on this soon (probably not before March), but I
> can lend a hand to whoever would like to package RStudio now.

Thanks for the offer of help. I look foward to when RStudio is merely
a ~guix install rstudio~ away.

Best Regards,

@ 2020-02-25 22:11 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-25 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Andrews; +Cc: help-guix

Kyle Andrews <kyle.c.andrews@gmail.com> writes:

> […] Below I provide
> links to the NixOS RStudio package along with Rekado's package of an
> older version of RStudio (which also didn't build for me).

The rstudio-server package in the guix-bimsb channel[1] can be built
again.  I’m going to work on getting this older version into Guix first,
and then try to upgrade it later.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Could anyone please package RStudio?
@ 2020-02-26  8:05   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-26  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Andrews; +Cc: help-guix

[1]: https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/guix-bimsb/blob/master/bimsb/packages/staging.scm#L106

--
Ricardo

* Re: Could anyone please package RStudio?
@ 2020-03-17  3:02     ` Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2020-03-17  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> Kyle Andrews <kyle.c.andrews@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> […] Below I provide
>>> links to the NixOS RStudio package along with Rekado's package of an
>>> older version of RStudio (which also didn't build for me).
>>
>> The rstudio-server package in the guix-bimsb channel[1] can be built
>> again.  I’m going to work on getting this older version into Guix first,
>> and then try to upgrade it later.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/guix-bimsb/blob/master/bimsb/packages/staging.scm#L106

I tried installing rstudio again from guix-bimsb, but it failed for me
at building the qtwebkit package. Unfortunately, I don't think I saved
the details. I'm eager to see rstudio available through the official
guix repo so the installation process can be much faster and less
stressful on my aging laptop.