unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* nscd
@ 2022-01-31 20:41 adriano
From: adriano @ 2022-01-31 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

The "Application Setup" in the manual
( https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html )
suggests to run the nscd service

"we strongly recommend that the system run the GNU C library’s name
service cache daemon, nscd, which should be listening on the
/var/run/nscd/socket socket."

 found such service already running on my Ubuntu installation and the
mentioned socket is there

But now I'm wondering: does the manual refer to the host distro when it
says "the system" ?

Or does it refer to the Guix layer ?

Maybe this has something to do with the other thread I opened about the
locales ?

* Re: nscd
@ 2022-01-31 22:30 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-01-31 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adriano; +Cc: help-guix

adriano <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:

> The "Application Setup" in the manual
> ( https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html )
> suggests to run the nscd service
>
> "we strongly recommend that the system run the GNU C library’s name
> service cache daemon, nscd, which should be listening on the
> /var/run/nscd/socket socket."
>
>  found such service already running on my Ubuntu installation and the
> mentioned socket is there
>
> But now I'm wondering: does the manual refer to the host distro when it
> says "the system" ?

Yes.

The reason is that nscd communicates with processes over a network
protocol, which allows binaries built with Guix to talk to user account
services on a foreign distro.  Alternative account services require
plugins are linked with incompatible libraries.

--
Ricardo

* Re: nscd
@ 2022-02-01 10:32   ` adriano
From: adriano @ 2022-02-01 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Il giorno lun, 31/01/2022 alle 23.30 +0100, Ricardo Wurmus ha scritto:

> adriano <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:
>
> > The "Application Setup" in the manual
> > ( https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html )
> > suggests to run the nscd service
> >
> > "we strongly recommend that the system run the GNU C library’s name
> > service cache daemon, nscd, which should be listening on the
> > /var/run/nscd/socket socket."
> >
> >  found such service already running on my Ubuntu installation and
> > the
> > mentioned socket is there
> >
> > But now I'm wondering: does the manual refer to the host distro
> > when it
> > says "the system" ?
>
> Yes.
>
> The reason is that nscd communicates with processes over a network
> protocol, which allows binaries built with Guix to talk to user
> account
> services on a foreign distro.  Alternative account services require
> plugins are linked with incompatible libraries.

Thank you, Ricardo

so because the nscd service being used is provided by the Ubuntu host,
the issue I'm running into (discussed in another thread) is not due to
the wrong nscd service being used

am I right ?

* Re: nscd
@ 2022-02-01 13:28     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-02-01 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adriano; +Cc: help-guix

adriano <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:

> Il giorno lun, 31/01/2022 alle 23.30 +0100, Ricardo Wurmus ha scritto:
>>
>> adriano <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:
>>
>> > The "Application Setup" in the manual
>> > ( https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html )
>> > suggests to run the nscd service
>> >
>> > "we strongly recommend that the system run the GNU C library’s name
>> > service cache daemon, nscd, which should be listening on the
>> > /var/run/nscd/socket socket."
>> >
>> >  found such service already running on my Ubuntu installation and
>> > the
>> > mentioned socket is there
>> >
>> > But now I'm wondering: does the manual refer to the host distro
>> > when it
>> > says "the system" ?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> The reason is that nscd communicates with processes over a network
>> protocol, which allows binaries built with Guix to talk to user
>> account
>> services on a foreign distro.  Alternative account services require
>> plugins are linked with incompatible libraries.
>>

> Thank you, Ricardo
>
> so because the nscd service being used is provided by the Ubuntu host,
> the issue I'm running into (discussed in another thread) is not due to
> the wrong nscd service being used
>
> am I right ?

Correct.  It should not be related to nscd.

nscd from Ubuntu should work just fine because the protocol is the same
no matter if client and server are linked with different libraries.

--
Ricardo