unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix pull behind proxy not working
@ 2019-07-04  9:05 martin
From: martin @ 2019-07-04  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi there!

This is my first contact with Guix System and I managed to install it as
Virtualbox guest system behind a corporate proxy. Well, this was already
quite a challenge and succeeded only due the workaround
(https://guix-devel.gnu.narkive.com/k3oBoFqW/changing-http-proxy-settings-in-guixsd),
but now `guix install` works, I can install new packages (given a
warning about never calling `guix pull`).  However, calling `guix pull`
and `guix system reconfigure` still fails due to unreachable network.
Does it need different proxy settings?  What can I do?

Here is the guix-configuration part of my /etc/config.scm (omitting my
proxy address details):

    (define %my-services
      (modify-services %desktop-services
        (guix-service-type config =>
                           (guix-configuration
                            (inherit config)
                            (http-proxy "http://<IP>:<PORT>")))))

Thanks for any ideas,
Martin

* Re: guix pull behind proxy not working
@ 2019-07-04 13:06 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-07-04 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin, help-guix

If you want any idea, I use freevpn.me and vpnbook.com accounts with 'openvpn' package. All guix commands download normally. And in terminal I have vpn ip (for freevpn.me):

$ curl ifconfig.io
51.15.151.165

But really I am not sure which is my ip when guix downloads.

@ 2019-07-04 13:13 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-07-04 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin, help-guix

>     (define %my-services
>       (modify-services %desktop-services
>         (guix-service-type config =>
>                            (guix-configuration
>                             (inherit config)
>                             (http-proxy "http://<IP>:<PORT>;")))))

Could you try "https" instead of "http"? That is "https://ipaddress:por
t". Because,based on this report (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/228
83), I think "guix pull" uses https by default now.

Regards,
RG.

* Re: guix pull behind proxy not working
@ 2019-07-04 14:42   ` martin
From: martin @ 2019-07-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

> Could you try "https" instead of "http"? That is "https://ipaddress:por
> t". Because,based on this report (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/228
> 83), I think "guix pull" uses https by default now.

My proxy uses the same definition entry "http://…" for all the
environment variables http_proxy, https_proxy, ftp_proxy. And in
config.scm, there is only one field "http-proxy" which can be specified.
So unfortunately, this does not help. The strange thing is that during
`guix install` it also downloads from https without problems.

@ 2019-08-15 18:39 ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2019-08-15 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin, help-guix

Em 2019-07-04T11:05:35+0200, martin@famic.de escreveu:

> However, calling `guix pull` and `guix system reconfigure` still fails
> due to unreachable network.  Does it need different proxy settings?
> What can I do?

I have the same problem on a Debian buster foreign distro.  I have
configured the proxy in
/etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service.d/override.conf

It contains the following lines:

    Environment="http_proxy=http://localhost:3128"
    Environment="https_proxy=http://localhost:3128"

And I confirmed with ~systemctl show~ that both variables are correct in
the environment of Guix daemon.

* Re: guix pull behind proxy not working
@ 2019-08-15 19:20   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-08-15 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto, martin, help-guix

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:

> Em 2019-07-04T11:05:35+0200, martin@famic.de escreveu:
>
>> However, calling `guix pull` and `guix system reconfigure` still fails
>> due to unreachable network.  Does it need different proxy settings?
>> What can I do?
>
> I have the same problem on a Debian buster foreign distro.  I have
> configured the proxy in
> /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service.d/override.conf
>
> It contains the following lines:
>
>     Environment="http_proxy=http://localhost:3128"
>     Environment="https_proxy=http://localhost:3128"
>
> And I confirmed with ~systemctl show~ that both variables are correct in
> the environment of Guix daemon.

I think you also need these variables in the environment that invokes
the 'guix' command.  Does it work if you export these variables before
running guix, in addition to having them in the daemon environment?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix pull behind proxy not working
@ 2019-08-16 15:52     ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2019-08-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke, martin, help-guix

Em 2019-08-15T21:20:27+0200, Marius Bakke escreveu:
> I think you also need these variables in the environment that invokes
> the 'guix' command.  Does it work if you export these variables before
> running guix, in addition to having them in the daemon environment?

I think that makes no difference, as the Guix manual in
[[info:guix#Proxy Settings]] says:

    Substitutes are downloaded over HTTP or HTTPS. The ‘http_proxy’
    environment variable can be set in the environment of ‘guix-daemon’
    and is honored for downloads of substitutes.  Note that the value of
    ‘http_proxy’ in the environment where ‘guix build’, ‘guix package’,
    and other client commands are run has _absolutely no effect_.

Anyway I verified I had those environment variables in the environment
of guix pull, and I got "Connection timed out".

I should add that I configured Gnome to use my workplace automatic proxy
configuration; but for applications (such as GNU Emacs) that do not
integrate with Gnome proxy settings I have set up ntlmaps, which is why
the http{,s}_proxy environment variables point to localhost.  This works
fine with Emacs, both for package installation and for the EWW web
browser.  Even ~git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git~
(outside of guix pull) works.  In fact, is there a convenient way to
tell guix to use a repository I have pulled myself, with git?

Regards
--
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z