unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guixbuild does not exist???
@ 2018-02-27 15:44 Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2018-02-27 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guixers,

Today guix greeted me with a strange error message when I tried to
install a package:

   guix package: error: build failed: the group `guixbuild' specified in
`build-users-group' does not exist

I call this strange because
  1) The group exists, as do the users guixbuilder01 to guixbuilder10.
  2) Guix has been working for quite a while on this machine, and
nothing spectacular happened since the last use.
  3) I cannot find any trace of this error message in the Guix source code.
  4) The guix daemon is running without any sign of trouble.

Any idea of what could be going wrong here?

Konrad.

* Re: guixbuild does not exist???
@ 2018-02-27 16:25 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-02-27 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Hinsen; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Konrad,

>   guix package: error: build failed: the group `guixbuild' specified
> in `build-users-group' does not exist

I’m guessing that NSCD is not running.  You might need it on some
systems.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: guixbuild does not exist???
@ 2018-02-27 16:26 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-02-27 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Hinsen, help-guix

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> Today guix greeted me with a strange error message when I tried to
> install a package:
>
>    guix package: error: build failed: the group `guixbuild' specified in
> `build-users-group' does not exist
>
> I call this strange because
>   1) The group exists, as do the users guixbuilder01 to guixbuilder10.
>   2) Guix has been working for quite a while on this machine, and
> nothing spectacular happened since the last use.
>   3) I cannot find any trace of this error message in the Guix source code.
>   4) The guix daemon is running without any sign of trouble.
>
> Any idea of what could be going wrong here?

This has to do with the recent update to glibc 2.26.  It no longer
builds the "nss_compat" library, which causes problems on distributions
that only has 'compat' in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

There is some discussion about it here: <https://bugs.gnu.org/30298>.

The workaround is to either install 'nscd', or update nsswitch.conf to
include 'files' (or similar) as a fallback (for "group" in this case).

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guixbuild does not exist???
@ 2018-02-27 19:59   ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2018-02-27 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Ricardo and Marius,

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> This has to do with the recent update to glibc 2.26.  It no longer
> builds the "nss_compat" library, which causes problems on distributions
> that only has 'compat' in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>
> There is some discussion about it here: <https://bugs.gnu.org/30298>.
>
> The workaround is to either install 'nscd', or update nsswitch.conf to
> include 'files' (or similar) as a fallback (for "group" in this case).

Thanks to both of you for the crucial hint. After installing nscd,
I can now again use Guix!

Konrad.

* Re: guixbuild does not exist???
@ 2018-03-02 13:46     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-03-02 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Hinsen; +Cc: help-guix

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> skribis:

> Thanks to both of you for the crucial hint. After installing nscd,
> I can now again use Guix!

For background info, see
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html#Name-Service-Switch-1>.

Ludo’.