unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Booting Guix SD on GA-41M-ES2L with libreboot
@ 2016-10-15 21:26 Niclas Hoyer
From: Niclas Hoyer @ 2016-10-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm trying to install Guix SD on a Gigabyte GA-41M-ES2L running
libreboot. Grub recognizes the usb stick and shows the menu entry "GNU
with Linux-Libre 4.5 (beta)". Linux seems to boot, but the computer
resets pretty soon. Even using a serial cable I can't see any error message.

The last line displayed is "[    0.208002] .... node  #0, CPUs:
#1". The full serial log (including libreboot) can be downloaded here:
https://libreboot.niclashoyer.de/guixsd/usb-boot.log

The linux boot starts around line 1276.

Trisquel GNU/Linux using kernel 3.13.0 and Parabola GNU/Linux using
kernel 4.6.4 boot without problems.

I also tried to boot the Guix SD installer using the Parabola kernel.
That kind of "worked", as I was dropped into a guile prompt with a
backtrace, but no reboot occurred.

Any help is appreciated.

--

Niclas

* Re: Booting Guix SD on GA-41M-ES2L with libreboot
@ 2016-10-16  0:43 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-10-16  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niclas Hoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Niclas Hoyer <info@niclashoyer.de> writes:
> I'm trying to install Guix SD on a Gigabyte GA-41M-ES2L running
> libreboot. Grub recognizes the usb stick and shows the menu entry "GNU
> with Linux-Libre 4.5 (beta)". Linux seems to boot, but the computer
> resets pretty soon. Even using a serial cable I can't see any error message.

It sounds like you're using the Guix 0.10.0 installer, based on the
kernel version.  Can you try using the installer from our most recent
release, 0.11.0?

     Mark

* Re: Booting Guix SD on GA-41M-ES2L with libreboot
@ 2016-10-16 17:46   ` Niclas Hoyer
From: Niclas Hoyer @ 2016-10-16 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix

> It sounds like you're using the Guix 0.10.0 installer, based on the
> kernel version.  Can you try using the installer from our most recent
> release, 0.11.0?
>
>      Mark
I just checked with 0.11.0. Now it uses linux 4.7, but the problem
(early reboot/reset) is the same.

--

@ 2016-10-17  8:40 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-17  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niclas Hoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Niclas Hoyer <info@niclashoyer.de> skribis:

> I'm trying to install Guix SD on a Gigabyte GA-41M-ES2L running
> libreboot. Grub recognizes the usb stick and shows the menu entry "GNU
> with Linux-Libre 4.5 (beta)". Linux seems to boot, but the computer
> resets pretty soon. Even using a serial cable I can't see any error message.
>
> The last line displayed is "[    0.208002] .... node  #0, CPUs:
> #1". The full serial log (including libreboot) can be downloaded here:
> https://libreboot.niclashoyer.de/guixsd/usb-boot.log

The boot log stops at:

[    0.205140] x86: Booting SMP configuration:
[    0.208002] .... node  #0, CPUs:      #1

So it looks like the kernel doesn’t even boot, unless the log is
truncated.

Did you try running Linux-libre 4.5 or newer before on this hardware?
Several people have reported running GuixSD on Libreboot-powered
machines, but presumably this was different hardware.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Booting Guix SD on GA-41M-ES2L with libreboot
@ 2016-10-17  8:54   ` Niclas Hoyer
From: Niclas Hoyer @ 2016-10-17  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

> Did you try running Linux-libre 4.5 or newer before on this hardware?
> Several people have reported running GuixSD on Libreboot-powered
> machines, but presumably this was different hardware.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Yes, booting the Parabola GNU/Linux from usb is working. They use
linux-libre 4.6.4.

Is there any way I could test this? I could compile Guix SD from source
und fiddle with the kernel build options until I'm able to boot.

--

@ 2016-10-17  9:07     ` David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2016-10-17  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niclas Hoyer; +Cc: help-guix

> [    0.036028] AppArmor: AppArmor initialized
> I also tried to boot the Guix SD installer using the Parabola kernel.

I don't think that guixsd uses apparmor, are you using the guixsd
kernel or the parabola one?

Do you also have a display connected to your machine? mingetty doesn't
support a serial login session.

* Re: Booting Guix SD on GA-41M-ES2L with libreboot
@ 2016-10-17  9:23       ` Niclas Hoyer
From: Niclas Hoyer @ 2016-10-17  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Craven; +Cc: help-guix

> I don't think that guixsd uses apparmor, are you using the guixsd
> kernel or the parabola one?
>
> Do you also have a display connected to your machine? mingetty doesn't
> support a serial login session.

I'm now using the latest 0.11.0 usb image unmodified with a screen
attached. The reset occurs so fast that I can't really recognize the
kernel messages. I added "console=ttyS0,115200n8" to the kernel boot
options to get serial output the last time using the 0.10.0 usb image.
As far as I can tell the kernel/CPU resets before reaching the login
session.

--

@ 2016-10-17 12:16       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-17 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Craven; +Cc: Niclas Hoyer, help-guix

David Craven <david@craven.ch> skribis:

>> [    0.036028] AppArmor: AppArmor initialized
>> I also tried to boot the Guix SD installer using the Parabola kernel.
>
> I don't think that guixsd uses apparmor,

GuixSD doesn’t use it but it’s apparently built into its kernel; on my
laptop, I see:

[    0.000140] ACPI: Core revision 20160422
[    0.005904] ACPI: 3 ACPI AML tables successfully acquired and loaded

[    0.006011] Security Framework initialized
[    0.006044] Yama: becoming mindful.
[    0.006081] AppArmor: AppArmor initialized

Ludo’.