unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Configuring VPN
@ 2020-02-10 16:42 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-02-10 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Folks!

Till now, I was using VPN via NM-Applet. Now I would like to use it via
configuring openvpn-client-service

I have the following info regarding my VPN connection:

*** START ***

    VPN Server: vpn.riseup.net
    Authentication method: password
    VPN username: your riseup.net login
    Password: either your riseup.net password or a vpn-secret.
    CA Certificate: RiseupCA.pem (download and verify here)
    Cipher: AES-256-CBC NEW
    Digest: SHA256

*** END ***

My confusion is with configuration fields of the service. How do I
setup the service using the above information?

Please and Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Configuring VPN
@ 2020-02-10 17:52 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-02-10 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Raghav Gururajan

Le 10 février 2020 11:42:20 GMT-05:00, Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> a écrit :
>Hello Folks!
>
>Till now, I was using VPN via NM-Applet. Now I would like to use it via
>configuring openvpn-client-service
>
>I have the following info regarding my VPN connection:
>
>*** START ***
>
>    VPN Server: vpn.riseup.net
>    Authentication method: password
>    VPN username: your riseup.net login
>    Password: either your riseup.net password or a vpn-secret.
>    CA Certificate: RiseupCA.pem (download and verify here)
>    Cipher: AES-256-CBC NEW
>    Digest: SHA256
>
>*** END ***
>
>My confusion is with configuration fields of the service. How do I
>setup the service using the above information?
>
>Please and Thank you!
>
>Regards,
>RG.

Ah the password method is still not supported by the service because I didn't have time to do it and kinda forgot about it… I'll see if I can do something for you.

* Re: Configuring VPN
@ 2020-02-10 18:49   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-02-10 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

Hi Julien!

> Ah the password method is still not supported by the service because
> I didn't have time to do it and kinda forgot about it… I'll see if I
> can do something for you.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. :-)

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Configuring VPN
@ 2020-02-22 12:09   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-02-22 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

Hi Julien!

>> Ah the password method is still not supported by the service because
>> I didn't have time to do it and kinda forgot about it… I'll see if I
>> can do something for you.
>
> Thank you very much, I appreciate it. :-)

Just following up. Any luck?

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Configuring VPN
@ 2020-02-22 13:08     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-02-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, help-guix

Le 22 février 2020 07:09:46 GMT-05:00, Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> a écrit :
>Hi Julien!
>
>>> Ah the password method is still not supported by the service because
>>> I didn't have time to do it and kinda forgot about it… I'll see if I
>>> can do something for you.
>>
>> Thank you very much, I appreciate it. :-)
>
>Just following up. Any luck?
>
>Regards,
>RG.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've pushed a patch to add auth-user-pass which is what you need. If that's not it, can you share the target configuration?

* Re: Configuring VPN
@ 2020-02-23 18:18       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-02-23 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> Le 22 février 2020 07:09:46 GMT-05:00, Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> a écrit :
>>Hi Julien!
>>

> Unless I'm mistaken, I've pushed a patch to add auth-user-pass which
> is what you need. If that's not it, can you share the target
> configuration?

Here's an example configuration.

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
   (openvpn-client-service
    #:config
    (let ([base-dir "/home/joshua/prog/guile/guix-config/vpn/"])
      (openvpn-client-configuration
       (auth-user-pass (string-append base-dir "login.conf"))
       (ca (string-append base-dir "ca2.crt"))
       (cert (string-append base-dir "client.crt"))
       (key (string-append base-dir "client.key"))
       ;; the expressvpn file I use disables lzo compression
       (comp-lzo? #f)
       (fast-io? #t)
       (remote
        (list
         (openvpn-remote-configuration
          (name "name-of-remote-host.com")
          (port 1195)))))))
#+END

"login.conf" looks like

#+BEGIN_SRC  text
username
password
#+END_SRC

Best of luck!

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Configuring VPN
@ 2020-03-14  8:20     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-03-14  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

Hi Julien!

> Unless I'm mistaken, I've pushed a patch to add auth-user-pass which is what you need. If that's
> not it, can you share the target configuration?

Sorry for the delayed response, I somehow missed this email.

The configuration is:

    VPN Server: vpn.riseup.net
    Authentication method: password
    VPN username: your riseup.net login
    Password: either your riseup.net password or a vpn-secret.
    CA Certificate: RiseupCA.pem
    Cipher: AES-256-CBC
    Digest: SHA256

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Configuring VPN
@ 2020-03-17  1:57       ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2020-03-17  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Raghav,

"Raghav Gururajan" <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> writes:

> Hi Julien!
>
>> Unless I'm mistaken, I've pushed a patch to add auth-user-pass which is what you need. If that's
>> not it, can you share the target configuration?
>
> Sorry for the delayed response, I somehow missed this email.
>
> The configuration is:
>
>     VPN Server: vpn.riseup.net
>     Authentication method: password
>     VPN username: your riseup.net login
>     Password: either your riseup.net password or a vpn-secret.
>     CA Certificate: RiseupCA.pem
>     Cipher: AES-256-CBC
>     Digest: SHA256
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> RG.

Not using the openvpn-service-type, but perhaps useful: I just posted
some way using 'nmcli' (NetworkManager) as another message on this
mailing list.

Maxim