unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-15 14:59 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-15 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

hi,

Does define-command automagically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?

For example, guix-format:

https://github.com/bqv/rc/blob/live/guix/scripts/format.scm#L21

* Re: Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-15 15:15 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-11-15 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: help-guix

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> Does define-command automagically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
>
> For example, guix-format:
>
> https://github.com/bqv/rc/blob/live/guix/scripts/format.scm#L21

No, you need to set GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-15 16:42   ` (
From: ( @ 2022-11-15 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, jgart; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue Nov 15, 2022 at 3:15 PM GMT, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> No, you need to set GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH.

You don't need to anymore, because of commit bbc1735, no?

    -- (

* Re: Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-15 18:05     ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-15 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 16:42:29 +0000 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> You don't need to anymore, because of commit bbc1735, no?

hi paren,

Does bbc1735 work on foreign distros also or ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

* Re: Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-15 18:08       ` (
From: ( @ 2022-11-15 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

Heya,

On Tue Nov 15, 2022 at 6:05 PM GMT, jgart wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 16:42:29 +0000 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> Does bbc1735 work on foreign distros also or ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

I think so. What you need to do is package up your extension, and make sure
it installs the extension code to #$output/share/guix/extensions. When it's
installed that directory should be added to GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH automatically.

    -- (

* Re: Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-15 19:04         ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-15 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:08:23 +0000 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> On Tue Nov 15, 2022 at 6:05 PM GMT, jgart wrote:
> it installs the extension code to #$output/share/guix/extensions. When it's
> installed that directory should be added to GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH automatically.

There's no examples currently in the code base of an extension like
that, right?

But I get what you're sayin

* Re: Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-16  9:09     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-11-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (, Ricardo Wurmus, jgart; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 at 16:42, "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> On Tue Nov 15, 2022 at 3:15 PM GMT, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> No, you need to set GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH.
>
> You don't need to anymore, because of commit bbc1735, no?

Assuming the extension is installed, no?  If the extension is a package
and installed as such, indeed.  Otherwise, GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH.  From
my understanding.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Does define-command automatically add the subcommand to the guix CLI?
@ 2022-11-16  9:15           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-11-16  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, (; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 at 13:04, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:08:23 +0000 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
>> Heya,
>>
>> On Tue Nov 15, 2022 at 6:05 PM GMT, jgart wrote:
>> it installs the extension code to #$output/share/guix/extensions. When it's
>> installed that directory should be added to GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH automatically.
>
> There's no examples currently in the code base of an extension like
> that, right?

Well, see guix-modules.  I did an attempt for a simple “hello world“
example with patch#58339 [1].  Maybe I will resume it if my motivation
is back…

1: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/58339

Cheers,
simon