unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* very old daemon = no substitutes?
@ 2019-12-23 11:53 Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2019-12-23 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

I'm reconfiguring my system after almost one year without updates
(meaning guix-daemon in my system profile is at version
0.16.0-8.7ba2b27, dating from january 2019).

I ran guix pull (now at commit c109d32) and had to rebuild *a lot*
(guile, git, I believe multiple versions of gcc, ...).  Now I'm
reconfiguring, and it feels like I'm still building the whole world
and not getting any substitutes (despite messages such as 'updating
substitutes from https://ci.guix.info' and 'updating substitutes from
https://berlin.guixsd.org')... could this be due to the old daemon,
and should things improve once I have reconfigured a basic system
with an up-do-date daemon, or is there something suspicious here?

thank you for any help!

Thomas

* Re: very old daemon = no substitutes?
@ 2019-12-23 12:14 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-12-23 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

Le Mon, 23 Dec 2019 12:53:12 +0100 (CET),
Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> a écrit :

> Hi Guix,
>
> I'm reconfiguring my system after almost one year without updates
> (meaning guix-daemon in my system profile is at version
> 0.16.0-8.7ba2b27, dating from january 2019).
>
> I ran guix pull (now at commit c109d32) and had to rebuild *a lot*
> (guile, git, I believe multiple versions of gcc, ...).  Now I'm
> reconfiguring, and it feels like I'm still building the whole world
> and not getting any substitutes (despite messages such as 'updating
> substitutes from https://ci.guix.info' and 'updating substitutes from
> https://berlin.guixsd.org')... could this be due to the old daemon,
> and should things improve once I have reconfigured a basic system
> with an up-do-date daemon, or is there something suspicious here?
>
> thank you for any help!
>
> Thomas

These two server names refer to the same machine, but I don't know if
the machine still serves substitutes on these names. Try using
https://ci.guix.gnu.org instead, and make sure you have authorized this
key:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/etc/substitutes/berlin.guixsd.org.pub

* Re: very old daemon = no substitutes?
@ 2019-12-23 14:01 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-12-23 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Thomas,

> I'm reconfiguring my system after almost one year without updates
> (meaning guix-daemon in my system profile is at version
> 0.16.0-8.7ba2b27, dating from january 2019).

This should be fine.  The daemon doesn’t change much and even in the
past upgrades to the daemon have been backwards compatible.

> I ran guix pull (now at commit c109d32) and had to rebuild *a lot*
> (guile, git, I believe multiple versions of gcc, ...).  Now I'm
> reconfiguring, and it feels like I'm still building the whole world
> and not getting any substitutes (despite messages such as 'updating
> substitutes from https://ci.guix.info' and 'updating substitutes from
> https://berlin.guixsd.org')...

berlin.guixsd.org (soon to disappear) is an old name for
ci.guix.gnu.org, as is ci.guix.info.

Double check /etc/guix/acl to make sure that the public key for
ci.guix.gnu.org is listed there.

--
Ricardo

* Re: very old daemon = no substitutes?
@ 2019-12-23 14:59   ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2019-12-23 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: help-guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Subject: Re: very old daemon = no substitutes?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 15:01:10 +0100

> Double check /etc/guix/acl to make sure that the public key for
> ci.guix.gnu.org is listed there.

Thank you very much!  I found the cause of the problem: 'guix archive
--authorize' was updating the file /usr/local/etc/guix/acl instead of
/etc/guix/acl.  Manually replacing /etc/guix/acl fixed the problem
(wish I'd found out 2 days ago :-D ).

Any idea why 'guix archive' is looking at /usr/local/...and what I
could do about that?

cheers,

Thomas

* Fwd: Re: very old daemon = no substitutes?
@ 2019-12-23 15:28     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-12-23 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: Thomas Danckaert

Thomas,

Thomas Danckaert 写道:
> Any idea why 'guix archive' is looking at /usr/local/...and what
> could do about that?

Did you (manually) ./configure guix without ‘--sysconfdir=/etc’?

Trick question; it was a year ago; who knows; but that's usually
the culprit.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: very old daemon = no substitutes?
@ 2019-12-23 18:56     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-12-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> writes:

> From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
> Subject: Re: very old daemon = no substitutes?
> Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 15:01:10 +0100
>
>> Double check /etc/guix/acl to make sure that the public key for
>> ci.guix.gnu.org is listed there.
>
> Thank you very much!  I found the cause of the problem: 'guix archive
> --authorize' was updating the file /usr/local/etc/guix/acl instead of
> /etc/guix/acl.  Manually replacing /etc/guix/acl fixed the problem
> (wish I'd found out 2 days ago :-D ).
>
> Any idea why 'guix archive' is looking at /usr/local/...and what I
> could do about that?

Your Guix was probably configured without “--prefix=/” or without
“--sysconfroot=/etc”.  The default prefix in the GNU system is always
“/usr/local”.

--
Ricardo