unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Can't type Japanese anymore
@ 2022-12-26 16:33 Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-12-26 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help guix

Hello,

After upgrading recently to Guix System 9cb42f7, I can't type Japanese anymore. It disappeared from the list, even though I still have ibus-anthy installed.

Also, the workaround in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/35610 does not work anymore.

If you are using a more recent version of the system, can you type Japanese normally?

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: Can't type Japanese anymore
@ 2022-12-26 22:17 ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-12-26 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help guix

It has been a long time since I switched to Ubuntu (and I use Guix as an additional package manager in Ubuntu - this way I get maximum mainstream compatibility, which is very helpful for work, and the flexibility that comes with Guix! ) but just one thing I vaguely remember for situations like this - if you create another fresh user and try with almost no specific configuration in /home/another-user , would the problem still persist?

When I used to use Guix, I almost continuously ran guix pull and rebuilt the system so I could immediately find when things broke!  😅

-Yasu

@ 2022-12-27  3:42 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-12-27  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help guix

Hi Luis,

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> After upgrading recently to Guix System 9cb42f7, I can't type Japanese
> anymore. It disappeared from the list, even though I still have
> ibus-anthy installed.
>
> Also, the workaround in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/35610 does not work anymore.
>
> If you are using a more recent version of the system, can you type Japanese normally?

I just tried, and it doesn't work for me either :-/.  Not sure if it's
cache related, or a more serious issue.

Maxim

* Re: Can't type Japanese anymore
@ 2022-12-28 21:07   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-12-28 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo; +Cc: help guix

Hi Yasu,

On Monday, December 26th, 2022 at 22:17, Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:

> It has been a long time since I switched to Ubuntu (and I use Guix as an additional package manager in Ubuntu - this way I get maximum mainstream compatibility, which is very helpful for work, and the flexibility that comes with Guix! ) but just one thing I vaguely remember for situations like this - if you create another fresh user and try with almost no specific configuration in /home/another-user , would the problem still persist?

Unfortunatelly, yes. Although I tried on another Guix System that didn't have ibus set up yet. I did the ibus dance, could add input methods like Spanish, English, and switch between them normally with Super+Space, but Japanese (Anthy) was not listed as an available input method, even though it is installed.

But then I changed to my machine, went to GNOME Keyboard settings to see if I could try adding and using any of the other Japanese input methods and, lo and behold, Japanese (Anthy) was listed magically. But adding it and switching to it doesn't let me type Japanese, even with Hiragana input mode selected.

I'll restart my desktop session and hope for more magic events :)

@ 2022-12-28 21:14   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-12-28 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help guix

Hi Maxim,

On Tuesday, December 27th, 2022 at 03:42, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried, and it doesn't work for me either :-/. Not sure if it's
> cache related, or a more serious issue.

I don't know..., removing ~/.cache/ibus didn't seem to have any effect here anymore. It used to. I tried in two different machines.

At least it's not just me :)

@ 2022-12-28 23:16     ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-12-28 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo; +Cc: help guix