unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* conflict in profile: same package appears twice
@ 2023-02-21  0:05 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-02-21  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

atai@localhost /share/software/guix/guix.git$ guix install dconf
The following package will be upgraded:
   dconf (dependencies or package changed)

guix install: error: profile contains conflicting entries for dconf
guix install: error:   first entry: dconf@0.40.0
/gnu/store/fl75cafmzy5zb3gn9f35mgq6gfrjl2wy-dconf-0.40.0
guix install: error:   second entry: dconf@0.40.0
/gnu/store/57rrnqnl8n55wsg7wwz7znpxnyfd4zba-dconf-0.40.0
hint: You cannot have two different versions or variants of `dconf' in
the same profile.

atai@localhost /share/software/guix/guix.git$ guix upgrade dconf
The following package will be upgraded:
   dconf (dependencies or package changed)

guix upgrade: error: profile contains conflicting entries for dconf
guix upgrade: error:   first entry: dconf@0.40.0
/gnu/store/fl75cafmzy5zb3gn9f35mgq6gfrjl2wy-dconf-0.40.0
guix upgrade: error:   second entry: dconf@0.40.0
/gnu/store/57rrnqnl8n55wsg7wwz7znpxnyfd4zba-dconf-0.40.0
hint: You cannot have two different versions or variants of `dconf' in
the same profile.

Not sure how the same package, the same version, appears twice.  In
any case, any simple way to fix this?

* Re: conflict in profile: same package appears twice
@ 2023-02-21 12:25 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-02-21 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, help-guix

Hi,

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 at 16:05, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> wrote:
> atai@localhost /share/software/guix/guix.git$ guix install dconf
> The following package will be upgraded:
>    dconf (dependencies or package changed)
>
> guix install: error: profile contains conflicting entries for dconf
> guix install: error:   first entry: dconf@0.40.0
> /gnu/store/fl75cafmzy5zb3gn9f35mgq6gfrjl2wy-dconf-0.40.0
> guix install: error:   second entry: dconf@0.40.0
> /gnu/store/57rrnqnl8n55wsg7wwz7znpxnyfd4zba-dconf-0.40.0
> hint: You cannot have two different versions or variants of `dconf' in
> the same profile.

This means probably that you have another package that propagates dconf.

> Not sure how the same package, the same version, appears twice.  In
> any case, any simple way to fix this?

You can try to also update some other packages of this profile.

From my point of view, the best way to avoid this kind of issue is to
avoid an imperative management and do a declarative management using
manifest files.

<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/guix-cookbook.html#Guix-Profiles-in-Practice>

Cheers,
simon