unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?
@ 2023-01-18 20:40 Przemysław Kamiński via
From: Przemysław Kamiński via @ 2023-01-18 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I want to
guix pack -f docker -m manifest.scm
and get a nice image name. However, looking at the code I see
[https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/pack.scm\#n618][https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_scripts_pack.scm_n618]
and then the ugly loop
[https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/pack.scm\#n155][https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_scripts_pack.scm_n155]
that produces cryptic docker image names like bash-coreutils-r-zhs.

Would it be possible to provide an option to specify that name?

Current manifest record-type is a list of manifest entries:
[https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/profiles.scm\#n205][https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_profiles.scm_n205]

I guess adding a name property to manifest is too big of a change.

Maybe then add an option to guix pack to accept optional name? And if not
provided, fall back to manifest->friendly-name.

Best,
Przemek

[https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_scripts_pack.scm_n618]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/pack.scm#n618
[https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_scripts_pack.scm_n155]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/pack.scm#n155
[https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_profiles.scm_n205]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/profiles.scm#n205

[-- Attachment #1.2: attachment.sig --]

[-- Attachment #1.3: publickey - EmailAddress(s=cgenie@pm.me) - 0x9CC42B0A.asc --]

* Re: specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?
@ 2023-01-20 12:01 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-01-20 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Przemysław Kamiński, help-guix

Hi,

On mer., 18 janv. 2023 at 20:40, Przemysław Kamiński via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> that produces cryptic docker image names like bash-coreutils-r-zhs.

Well, this is an improvement compared to the previous behaviour. :-)
See 0074844366381e3056d09492b8b437836c7adb61:

pack: Provide a meaningful "repository name" for Docker.

Previously, images produced by 'guix pack -f docker' would always show
up as "profile" in the output of 'docker images'.  With this change,
'docker images' shows a name constructed from the packages found in the
image--e.g., "bash-coreutils-grep-sed".

And one thing discussed at the time of this change was that the rename
for a more meaningful name could append on the Docker side.

That’s said…

> Maybe then add an option to guix pack to accept optional name? And if not
> provided, fall back to manifest->friendly-name.

…yes, I agree.  It could be nice to be able to directly name the image.
However, this would mean that the produced Docker pack would not be
bit-to-bit reproducible considering the same manifest.  Other said, the
bit-to-bit reproducibility would require three inputs: the channels.scm
file describing the revision of Guix (and potentially other channels),
the manifest.scm file describing the packages and also the name provided
at Docker pack build-time.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?
@ 2023-01-20 15:07   ` Greg Hogan
From: Greg Hogan @ 2023-01-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Przemysław Kamiński, help-guix

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 7:18 AM Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe then add an option to guix pack to accept optional name? And if not
> > provided, fall back to manifest->friendly-name.
>
> …yes, I agree.  It could be nice to be able to directly name the image.
> However, this would mean that the produced Docker pack would not be
> bit-to-bit reproducible considering the same manifest.  Other said, the
> bit-to-bit reproducibility would require three inputs: the channels.scm
> file describing the revision of Guix (and potentially other channels),
> the manifest.scm file describing the packages and also the name provided
> at Docker pack build-time.
>
> Cheers,
> simon

The image hash already depends on `guix pack` command-line options
--entry-point, --save-provenance, and --symlink as well as package
transformations, --no-grafts, and --system. Since building a
bit-to-bit reproducible docker image already requires replaying the
command-line options, adding an optional name would not reduce
reproducibility.

Greg

* Re: specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?
@ 2023-01-20 17:15     ` Przemysław Kamiński via
From: Przemysław Kamiński via @ 2023-01-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-guix

Or, just a wild idea: maybe make xspecirl" manifest entries that would modify Docker image?

This actually would resemble the Dockerfile: name, entrypoint, package installs and custom script execution is done in one fine, streamlined. It seems a bit strange for me, for example, to specify things like entrypoint on the guix pack command line.

Best,
Przemek

Sent from Proton Mail mobile

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 7:18 AM Simon Tournier  wrote: > > > Maybe then add an option to guix pack to accept optional name? And if not > > provided, fall back to manifest->friendly-name. > > …yes, I agree. It could be nice to be able to directly name the image. > However, this would mean that the produced Docker pack would not be > bit-to-bit reproducible considering the same manifest. Other said, the > bit-to-bit reproducibility would require three inputs: the channels.scm > file describing the revision of Guix (and potentially other channels), > the manifest.scm file describing the packages and also the name provided > at Docker pack build-time. > > Cheers, > simon The image hash already depends on \`guix pack\` command-line options --entry-point, --save-provenance, and --symlink as well as package transformations, --no-grafts, and --system. Since building a bit-to-bit reproducible docker image already requires replaying the command-line options, adding an optional name would not reduce reproducibility. Greg

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - EmailAddress(s=cgenie@pm.me) - 0x9CC42B0A.asc --]

* Re: specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?
@ 2023-02-13  9:11     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-02-13  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Hogan; +Cc: Przemysław Kamiński, help-guix

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 10:07, Greg Hogan <code@greghogan.com> wrote:

> The image hash already depends on `guix pack` command-line options
> --entry-point, --save-provenance, and --symlink as well as package
> transformations, --no-grafts, and --system. Since building a
> bit-to-bit reproducible docker image already requires replaying the
> command-line options, adding an optional name would not reduce
> reproducibility.

I would be happy to review a patch in that direction. :-)

Yeah, maybe it would help Docker folk to get how great Guix is for
producing Docker stuff.

Cheers,
simon