unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Security of packages in official repo
@ 2020-11-26 12:32 Phil
From: Phil @ 2020-11-26 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all,

I can find a few articles that give a good overview of Guix security
with regard to ensuring that what is pulled onto my local server is always a true
representation of the packages as intended by the package authors.

There's also a good process for alerting Guix of potential security issues.

However, can anyone point me to, or explain - what is done to audit
packages in the official Repo in the first place - i.e. how do I know
that a piece of software supplied to me by Guix is not only
delivered in a safe/reliable fashion, but is also free from malware potentially
introduced by the authors/maintainers themselves?

How are new packages or updates audited or reviewed before being accepted
into Guix's official repo?

It's a paranoid question I know - but it's a regular one on security
audits to sign-off software use....  I know that nobody is going to audit
every single line of code of every package, but knowing that some
process exist is normally enough to satisfy the audit?

A similar question and fairly reassuring answer from the Ubuntu Security
Team is given here - I was hoping to find something similar for Guix:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1186039/are-ubuntu-packages-security-audited

Thanks,
Phil