unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix deploy: Failed to read private key
@ 2023-02-14  8:59 Kitty-Cricket Piapiac
From: Kitty-Cricket Piapiac @ 2023-02-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix,

I am relatively new to this package manager & system distribution. I am
really struggling to get `guix deploy` working. I have a simple
`deploy.scm` that looks something like this.

   $ cat deploy.scm
   (define %os (operating-system ...))

   (define %ip "<ip>")
   (define %key "<host-key>")

   (list
     (machine
       (operating-system %os)
       (environment managed-host-environment-type)
       (configuration (machine-ssh-configuration
                        (host-name %ip)
                        (host-key %key)
                        (identity "id_ed25519")))))

When I try and run `guix deploy deploy.scm` as a regular user, I get the
following error:

   $ guix deploy deploy.scm
   The following 1 machine will be deployed:
     <name>

   guix deploy: deploying to <name>
   guix deploy: error: failed to deploy <name>: SSH authentication
failed for '<ip>': Failed to read private key: /home/kitty/.ssh/id_ed25519

At first I thought there may be a permissions issue, but the private key
is there, and with seemingly the right permissions,

   $ ll /home/kitty/.ssh/id_ed25519
   -rw------- 1 kitty users 464 Feb 13 00:03 id_ed25519

and ssh-ing into the machine normally works fine,

   $ ssh root@<ip>
   Enter passphrase for key '/home/kitty/.ssh/id_ed25519':
   Last login: Mon Feb 13 17:24:54
   root@<name> ~#

so I'm not really sure what could be causing this, and I'm not sure what
to do now to troubleshoot. Anybody run into this before, or any ideas?

Thanks,
Kitty-Cricket Piapiac

* Re: guix deploy: Failed to read private key
@ 2023-02-14 12:47 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-02-14 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kitty-Cricket Piapiac; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 12:59:11AM -0800, Kitty-Cricket Piapiac wrote:
> Hello Guix,
>
> I am relatively new to this package manager & system distribution. I am
> really struggling to get `guix deploy` working. I have a simple `deploy.scm`
> that looks something like this.
>
>   $ cat deploy.scm
>   (define %os (operating-system ...))
>
>   (define %ip "<ip>")
>   (define %key "<host-key>")
>
>   (list
>     (machine
>       (operating-system %os)
>       (environment managed-host-environment-type)
>       (configuration (machine-ssh-configuration
>                        (host-name %ip)
>                        (host-key %key)
>                        (identity "id_ed25519")))))
>
> When I try and run `guix deploy deploy.scm` as a regular user, I get the
> following error:
>
>   $ guix deploy deploy.scm
>   The following 1 machine will be deployed:
>     <name>
>
>   guix deploy: deploying to <name>
>   guix deploy: error: failed to deploy <name>: SSH authentication failed for
> '<ip>': Failed to read private key: /home/kitty/.ssh/id_ed25519
>
> At first I thought there may be a permissions issue, but the private key is
> there, and with seemingly the right permissions,
>
>   $ ll /home/kitty/.ssh/id_ed25519
>   -rw------- 1 kitty users 464 Feb 13 00:03 id_ed25519
>
> and ssh-ing into the machine normally works fine,
>
>   $ ssh root@<ip>
>   Enter passphrase for key '/home/kitty/.ssh/id_ed25519':
>   Last login: Mon Feb 13 17:24:54
>   root@<name> ~#
>
> so I'm not really sure what could be causing this, and I'm not sure what to
> do now to troubleshoot. Anybody run into this before, or any ideas?

It can't read the private key because it is password protected. I'm not
sure if it's possible to do without removing the password on the key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix deploy: Failed to read private key
@ 2023-02-15  3:07   ` Kitty-Cricket Piapiac
From: Kitty-Cricket Piapiac @ 2023-02-15  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: help-guix

On 14/02/2023 04:47, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> It can't read the private key because it is password protected. I'm not
> sure if it's possible to do without removing the password on the key.
Thank you for the help; using a non-password protected key works. In
hindsight this should have been one of the first things I tried with
the error message given ^_^);

Cheers,
Kitty-Cricket