unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* package store directory in custom location
@ 2023-02-26  1:03 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-02-26  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, is it possible to have  a /gnu/store/ directory for a package in a
custom path?  A usage scenario is, say, to have a python interpreter,
with its package directory that normally exists as
/gnu/store/<something>, to be somewhere I specified, so it would be
possible to use that python with python's package manager to install
python modules as site packages specific to this python (as it is not
easy to have all python modules available as packages in Guix)

If this python can only run from the /gnu/store/... directory, trying
to install site packages would normally fail (as /gnu/store/... is
read only to non root user) and not good practice anyway (as
/gnu/store/... is not meant to be user touched but only managed by
Guix)

* Re: package store directory in custom location
@ 2023-02-26  8:23 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-02-26  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Andy Tai

Hi Andy,

so you could change the store location, but it would just create the same stone structure as /gnu/store elsewhere, with the same issues and no substitutes.

Instead you could try to create a relocatable pack of python, and untar it somewhere writable. There might be a small runtime penalty, but we're talking about python anyway :)

HTH!